TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW T35 no forward movement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BW T35 no forward movement
    Posted: Jul/15/2014 at 5:44pm
Great Forum, I finished up a C10 project with my eldest son and now I have a new project car for my younger son, a 1965 AMC Rambler Classic (4 door). This is my second AMC my first was my first Car back in 1975 a javelin. The Classic is a bit different than anything else I have worked on. I have not been able to fully understand the issues I have with it. The BW T35 works in reverse no problem, it was moving forward in D2 but now, not so much. The rest of the car is in fantastic condition, needs new paint but all the trim is there and very clean. Engine starts up quickly and runs smoothly. So I think if I can get my head around figuring out what is going on with the T35 it will be a great daily driver for my son. So I have purchased the TSM and found a Motor’s Automatic Transmission Manual that covers the Rambler BW’s as well as many of the older transmissions. So, I think I am set… but not sure where to start, I looked at the diagnostics chart but I don’t see anything specific to my symptoms, no forward movement in any forward gear. I have jacked up the back end and with the engine running started it in L (removed NSS) the driver’s side wheel does spin, when I shift it to D2 (one click up) I don’t hear a upshift, but the car currently does not have a muffler so it is a bit loud in the shop.
I have pulled the T35 pan and the fluid is clean doesn’t smell “burnt”.
The throttle cable “pressure and kick-down” is attached internally and seems to move freely in the sheath. In the TSM it says to set the cable when at hot idle, for “free pin” I expect that to mean: Take out the cotter pin, holding the pin (clevis) in the linkage and adjust cable so the clevis slides in and out of the linkage freely. Once this is achieved adjust the cable 2 more full tunes (pulling the cable out, towards the carburetor) and the adjustment should be complete.

Is my understanding correct? Also, what next to troubleshoot the transmission, I am more visual then not so I will have to read the TSM several times to “see it” in my head. I hope I don’t have to pull the T35 but I can if I need to. I have done complete rebuilds on TH400’s and TH350’s but this BWT35 is more of a mystery. Your help and guidance to a AMC newbie is greatly appreciated.

Details, 1965, AMC Rambler Classic 770 4 Door.
Engine has a J in the casting so I think it’s a 199 from 1969 1bbl
Transmission: T35 

July 15, 2014
Several of the Tubes do not look like they are seated all the way, and a few have dents in them from someone hitting them too hard to seat them. Are these still good?
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E68545181D39F26!5982&authkey=!AGs4ote7qlCcvgA&v=3&ithint=photo%2c.jpg

July 17, 2014 Update:
I was able to do the air pressure test for the Front Clutch, Governor Valve, Rear Clutch, Front Band and front Servo, and Rear Band and Rear servo and they all passed. So now on to the Valve body, clean and check for issues. 

Edited by mspencer - Jul/17/2014 at 8:38pm
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 7:45pm
If my memory is correct first gear uses the front clutch and the one way clutch. The one way clutch is strictly mechanical. No pressure testing. It is round with a series if "dogs" that cause it to lock up. 
Dan
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 8:00pm
D2 starts in 2nd. While the pan is off adjust the front band. D1 starts in 1st. shifts to 2nd. then 3rd.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
mspencer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2014 at 5:19pm
Thanks, i ended up pulling the transmission, the clutches were are burnt or nothing left on them. it was pretty dirty in the value body as well. putting it all back together again now.
Fingers crossed.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2014 at 9:36am
I generally say to start with pulling the valve body and give it a good cleaning, but with burnt up clutches looks like you found your problem! Still make sure the valve body is clean. Someone may have run it a bit without the cable attached and/or adjusted properly -- that will burn one up pretty quick! You adjusted it right. You can run 1/2 to 1 turn further out on the cable, but if you go too far it will kick-down too soon -- you'll be using 2nd when you just need a little more gas to maintain speed up a hill. I found that out the hard way! At least it won't harm the trans though. 
Frank Swygert
mspencer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 8:10pm
Ok i am very confused.... Just install the transmission and filled it up warmed it up. and it is doing the exact same thing, no forward movement? revers hits no problem, you can feel the revers pull, goes in to Neutral and Park as it should. but in D, D2 or D1 nothing. i could have missed something in the rebuild but i was very careful and took my time with it. the only thing i dint replace was the governor. Confused
I have not adjusted the linkage yet but to get no, nothing in any forward gear.... I don't know what i am missing? Help! I did a th300 last weekend for my nephew no problems did a th400 2 months ago no problems. just don't understand what i missed on this one.

Mark
Nothing to it but to do it!
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 9:49pm
You never mention the sprag clutch. Is it installed correctly? Will the car move in reverse?

Dan
Dan
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 11:30pm
Try manual low.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 11:57pm
But don't push hard on the gas if it engages. If it feels like it's in reverse and first at the same time, then the pinhole in the accumulator modification probably wasn't done and the valvebody wear is messing you up.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 10:43am
The only time I had something similar happen the valve body was hopelessly worn. We think a passage in the VB was worn through, but couldn't really tell. I had first and reverse, no shifting in forward. A local trans shop cleaned the VB about three times and finally got it working, but it slammed in gear so hard it cracked the case. At that point he put the new guts from mine in another used case, and used the VB from the parts trans. Worked flawlessly. Could have been a passage in the case plugged or worn and not the VB -- no way to tell. It's more likely the VB though, the case doesn't have many passages. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic