TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

BW T35 no forward movement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 11:05am
yes the car will move in revers, I didn't replace it because it looked good, and a few weeks before it went dead (no forward movement) it did move forward.
Mark
Nothing to it but to do it!
mspencer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 11:52am
Here is what I have.

Symptoms
1.     Transmission would move forward in drive slowly at higher RPMs
2.     Reversed worked correctly
3.     Could feel the shift from park to neutral and neutral to park.
4.     Could feel the shift from neutral to reverse.
5.     When shifting to drive one or two there was no forward movement at the shift point.

During the rebuild:
1.     Found no pilot bearing for the front of the torque converter. New pilot bushing installed
2.     Most of the clutches were burnt. Clutches and steals replaced
3.     There was no lower cover for the torque converter. New lower cover fabricated and installed.
4.     Found body was filled with sludge. Valve body was thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled.
5.     Rear pump key was broken off on the sun shaft so the rear pump was an active at all. New key was installed.
6.     Sun gear was severely worn. Sun gear and shaft replaced.
7.     Planetary set bushing was severely worn. Planetary was replaced.
8.     Rear pump was binding on case and would not turn. Case was replaced.
9.     All seals, belts and thrust washers were replaced.
10.     Sprag clutch looked in good condition so it was not removed just thoroughly cleaned. It turned one way freely and locked in the other opposite direction.
11.     Torque converter was rebuilt by transmission shop and reinstalled

Things I didn't change:
1.     The governor was not replaced just cleaned and reinstalled
2.     Linkage cable to throttle control was not replaced
3.     Internal linkage was not replaced just use the ones that came in the new case.

Current symptoms::
1.     when shifting from park to reverse you can feel the shift the car starts to move backwards
2.     when shifting from reverse to neutral, neutral seems to be engaged no forward movement.
3.     When shifting from neutral to D2 don't feel any change in the transmission no forward movement no feel of engagement at all.
4.     When shifting from D2 to D1 again no change in the transmission no forward movement no feel of engagement at all.

What I'm doing now:
1.     I will be resetting the shifting linkage putting the car in low and making sure that I'm in low and reset the linkage.
2.     Set the throttle cable, on a cold engine set the free play on the pin and adjusted cable 2 full turns.

What else should I be doing? if I still don't get any movement, I will pull the VB and clean it again and see if that works.

What strange to me is that after the full rebuild the symptoms are identical, is having a reverse but no forward gear any kind of indication that there something else wrong possibly in the torque tube or the rear end? I wouldn't think so but given that it's almost a new transmission with just about everything being replaced with the exception of very few things it's either because I did the exact same wrong thing as the previous builder did or the problem was something outside the transmission?? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you
Mark
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 5:01pm
Well you had to couple the universal joint to the rear end and the transmission so you know what shape that's in. If you have a spun hub you'd hear and it feel it changing gears. Taking a hubcap off would confirm its not that.

I think you've missed something in the build and we feel for you on that but you'll be the resident expert when you figure it out. Maybe some M35 builders have some ideas. Did you follow through step by step with the TSM?

mspencer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 5:13pm
yes, the TSM was in hand, I also had a very detailed guide from the Rover P5 Club Forum, I know they are not AMC but the Rover had the same transmission, linkage is a bit different but the rest is identical. Anyone even thinking of doing a rebuild on a T35 that has never don't it before should take a look. Andy, the thread owner did a phenomenal job with instructions and tons of detailed photos, all very specific to the T35. I hope it is ok to post a link to a different forum but again its only specific to the T35.
BWT35 Strip-Rebuild
Mark
mspencer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 5:37pm
Also tried L and still nothing.... But i did notice that sometimes when i am in park and i give it a little gas, it pops in to revers. 
Mark
Ambassadorboy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambassadorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 1:17am
did you ever figure out the problem I'm having the exact same problem 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2019 at 6:06am
Did you change the torque converter or have it rebuilt? I'd also look for another valve body. Your trans was pretty bad inside, so the chances of a passage in the VB being plugged is pretty high.

Edited by farna - Feb/06/2019 at 6:08am
Frank Swygert
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2019 at 8:32pm
This is the 1965 flash-o-matic tune up video. It starts at 34 minutes. Not sure it will really help you but it does go over band adjustment and some other stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic