TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cam bearing oiling hole question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cam bearing oiling hole question
    Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 2:05pm
I mocked up my cam today to check the oil hole in the cam versus the oil slot in the timing chain. Luckily, both holes lined up, so I think I'm good there. After I took the cam back out, I thought about the oil holes in the cam bearings. When I checked the holes, I got a little worried. When looking at the cam hole straight on, the cam bearing oil holes are all lined up at the 9 o'clock position. Is this correct? I thought they were supposed be at the top or the bottom (can't remember at the moment as I haven't done this for a while). 

I ran this engine before with a different cam and the oil pressure was fine, but I'm still concerned that the cam bearing oil holes aren't in the right location.

Thanks!
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 2:21pm
Far as I know 9 o'clock is stock and correct

imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 2:36pm
Pfew! Sounds good to me! One other question. The Edelbrock cam has a groove all around the cam along with the hole where the cam oil hole is on the top front journal surface. The Summit cam only has the hole with no groove. Any issues with no groove?

Thanks!
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 2:59pm
Well then the Front Cam Bearing IN THE BLOCK must have a Groove all the way around in it then since the Summit Cam does not have a groove all the way around it...  Imagine you have already seen this...

imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 3:17pm
Wow! No, I haven't. Thanks!

67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2019 at 3:31pm
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:17am
If you look at those oil holes in the cam bearing, you should be able to look right into the oil galley in block.  The two should line up perfectly, where you do not see the edges of the cross drilled block oil supply hole.  Use a mirror.  One of the most common mistakes I see is guys leaving the galley feed plugs out.....or not taking them out when the block is cleaned and they are full of debris at the ends.  I always run a brush down through them to clean the big stuff out before the block goes for cleaning and then again after......if any of the 6 plugs are missing.....you will never get oil pressure!!  I don't know if you are assembling after full tear down or just cam swap, but if just cam swap, don't open the plugs up for a look, you may end up contaminating the entire oil system.......but when in full rebuild, you can never have things clean enough!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic