TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Celebrity Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 6:09pm
Cam, my spot blaster is also a Harbor Freight purchase from several years ago. It was not up to the task today so I used my portable sand blaster and a combination of roll-lock disks and wire brushes to address the rust.   I made some improvement and the car is ready to be treated with Metal Prep tomorrow and then after being rinsed and dried I will apply to coats of DP50LF epoxy primer.  One drawback of working on an old car where windshield gaskets are not available is having to leave the glass in place.  It takes extra care when masking and the degraded gaskets will need some help from windshield bedding compound after the primer and paint.   Bummer.

Don't leave your other cars uncovered when you have a dusty operation going nearby.  Confused

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Cam, my spot blaster is also a Harbor Freight purchase from several years ago. It was not up to the task today so I used my portable sand blaster and a combination of roll-lock disks and wire brushes to address the rust.   I made some improvement and the car is ready to be treated with Metal Prep tomorrow and then after being rinsed and dried I will apply to coats of DP50LF epoxy primer.  One drawback of working on an old car where windshield gaskets are not available is having to leave the glass in place.  It takes extra care when masking and the degraded gaskets will need some help from windshield bedding compound after the primer and paint.   Bummer.

Don't leave your other cars uncovered when you have a dusty operation going nearby.  Confused

or the windows openBig smile 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 11:45pm
hi, Eastwood sells a good spot blaster, I have one and like it. good luck, gz
george z
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2017 at 9:00pm
The roof is in epoxy primer.   Next comes the filler primer, probably polyester,  in a few days. 

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 6:41pm
The weather is great here on the central coast and a car buddy and I have been working on two projects in the back yard this weekend.  We are putting VDO gauges in his 74 Gremlin and I have been working on the Celebrity Rambler as time permits. 

First the Rambler.  The first picture shows fairly typical rust bubbling through the top of the right fender.  I needed to remove the fender to repair it, revealing a lot of damage that I expected on a pre-63 big body car.  I have some experience with these cars and have seen similar rust on the three such cars I have owned.  Here is my advice. If you are looking to buy a big body Rambler made anywhere from 1958 when the body was first marketed through 1962, and you see rust bubbles on either fender near the windshield and you cannot fix it yourself, walk away from the car.  The rust you will see below is fixable and I plan to do it myself, but it would not be cheap to hire it done.  

You will note that the impacted area on the surface of the fender is only about six inches in diameter.  What lurks underneath is more serious. The windshield will have to be removed and I did find a replacement windshield gasket so I think we can eventually reinstall it.  In short:  Buyer Beware.

Keep in mind the Celebrity is a California car. The major reason for the rust is that the body plant put about a pound or more of tar-like body putty at the rear underneath the fender which holds moisture.  I owned three of these and the all have rust in this area.  

\

The second project was putting VDO guages in a custom panel in Jim's 74 Gremlin.  I has a hopped-up 360 (don't know total displacement, but it has a 401 crank and rods). He recently added the 17's.  

And Gizmo was watching too.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 7:45am
You can get a new windshield gasket! Try Galvin's (www.ramblerparts.com) or Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com). 
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 9:18pm
Well, I did get a windshield gasket from the Rambler Guy down in Orange County and he said it was the last one to fit my car.  The final seam is not made so he recommended that I have a glass shop install the windshield and have them do a diagonal seam at the corner.  I am not quite ready to remove the windshield yet and when I do it will be out out for a while.   Last weekend I painted the engine bay in the original Corsican Gold. I will route the wire looms, replace the front to engine mounts and get ready to reinstall the engine and tranny in the next few days.  I did get the transmission back from the shop a few weeks ago.  This was a Rambler Club car and the transmission had been rebuilt twice in the last few years, without anyone ever checking to see that it operated properly.  The repairman said all the parts were basically installed in the right place but that enough fasteners were not torqued properly so that it had internal pressure leaks, leading to the symptoms I experienced.  I hope it is good to go now.  I possibly have a source for factory sheet metal from another Classic to repair the damage below both A-pillars.  I hope to harvest sheet metal later this week.  Pics below:

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 5:44am
I disagree with your gasket guy. I'd put that seam in the center at the top or bottom where it's least conspicuous. Make it about 1/8" too long and glue the ends with contact cement. Over the years the gasket will shrink a little. The gap (if it develops) can be sealed with black RTV. It will be much harder to seal at a corner and will stick out more, IMHO. If you do make it in a corner make it a lower corner, contact cement the gasket together.
Frank Swygert
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 6:51am
Definitely a nice car.  That hidden rust has me scared to go looking on my own car now, LOL.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic