TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Clutch Kit Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Kit Question
    Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 5:35pm
Putting a new clutch kit on my 1972 AMX 360 T-10.  

When I search on Summit/JEGS I get just a few choices pop up for my car/engine, however, some say they also fit Chevy/GM.  I was looking at the CenterForce DF271739 and found that it also fits a 1972 Chevy Nova 350.  If I do a search for clutches for 72 Chevy Nova 350, I get a lot more choices--specifically from McCleod, which I'd really like to use since I think it is a better product and is about $150 less than the CF.

Anyway, my question is this: Since the CenterForce fits both the the 72 AMX and Nova (per Summit...), would it not seem like all of the clutch kits that fit a Nova would therefore also fit AMX's? (I think there is also an Algebra theorem that describes this situation...).

Can anyone help me out on this or confirm the fitment question?

Thanks.

You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 8:08am
I found this list but is GM, 10.5" clutch with 1-1/16" diameter input and 10 spline for Muncie, Saganaw & T10:
1964-1973 Biscayne, & Bel Air*
1964-1981 Camaro*
1966-1979 Caprice*
1963-1969 Corvette*
1968-1974 Chevy II & Nova*
1976-1977 Malibu*
1965-1969 Chevelle*
1964-1979 Impala*
With Manual Transmissions, & 153 Tooth Flywheel*
on Camaros, Chevelles, Impalas, Corvettes & Nova’s with big block 396, 427, also small blocks like 230, 250, 283, 302, 327, & 350 with the 153 tooth, 12 3/4" flywheels and 10 1/2" clutches.

Have not tried one to see if it fits but buy description it "should".
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 11:39am
Thanks for the reply. 

I thought the T-10 input shafts were 1.25" diameter?  Mine is measuring about 1.117" across the splines.  Also, my stock clutch plate is 11" diameter and the Borg&Beck cover has an approx. 11.5" bolt pattern.  

After doing some research, I don't think the Summit p/n for the Centerforce DF271739 would fit my bolt pattern on the flywheel anyway.

I "think" the McLeod p/n 75224 will, but I am still not sure about the bolt pattern.  I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon to find out.  Guess if it doesn't, I will be shipping it back...I'll keep everyone posted.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 11:58am
The GM 153 tooth flywheel has a 10-3/4" bolt circle and the 168 tooth is 11-1/2" as far as I have found.
When I got my clutch from a transmission shop recommended, the guy picked a 10.5" diaphragm clutch for me, but took the plate from one box, the housing from another and gave me 2 bearings and stated "this will fit an AMC", which it did. Mcleod pieces all put in an empty Mcleod box. No Idea what the numbers were.
It looked like he mixed and matched but I've had no issues. 
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 4:21pm

FYI.  In case anyone is considering the Centerforce clutch kit from Summit here is confirmation that the bolt pattern will fit the 360 stock flywheel bolt pattern:

From Centerforce:

Part Number DF271739 has a bolt spacing of 11-5/8” with 10.4” 1-1/8”-10 spline disc.

Sincerely,

Midway Industries, Inc.

Centerforce Clutches

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 8:45pm
I installed a Ram 88499HDX clutch in my Machine a couple of winters ago. I'd think it would fit your '72. The throwout bearing didn't fit the clutch fork though.

-Steve-

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 9:02pm
".. 10 spline for Muncie, Saganaw & T10..". My memory is fading but weren't the T-10 AMC tyranny's a 12 spline? I don't often remember what I had for dinner last night, so go easy. Please.
Mike
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 9:07pm
Thanks. 

I looked at this one but noticed one of the reviews from 8/2018 stated the following:

"...the hub of this friction disc is too wide in diameter to fit any of the AMC flywheels. A1/4X1/8' relief groove will have to be milled into your flywheel for clearance. after doing that this clutch will fit fine...Called RAM clutches for the correct part number ...said they were aware of the clearance issues as well as the throw-out bearing issues."

Did you not have any issues installing the clutch?

--Jack
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by AMXrated AMXrated wrote:

Thanks. 

I looked at this one but noticed one of the reviews from 8/2018 stated the following:

"...the hub of this friction disc is too wide in diameter to fit any of the AMC flywheels. A1/4X1/8' relief groove will have to be milled into your flywheel for clearance. after doing that this clutch will fit fine...Called RAM clutches for the correct part number ...said they were aware of the clearance issues as well as the throw-out bearing issues."

Did you not have any issues installing the clutch?

--Jack

No problems. As I recall the alignment tool they provide doesn't fit, maybe that had something to do with it.

-Steve-

AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2018 at 9:41pm
Mine is a Borg-Warner "V" code transmission and the input shaft has 10.  

I "think" GM used a 26 spline on their "super" T-10's.  Not sure about a 12 spline version but given the history of the T-10, it would not surprise me if someone used one.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic