TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cometic MLS head gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2019 at 11:45am
The best head gasket I have used for my application, though I don't have at much compression as your engine is the ROL HG31190HT if you can still find a set.

But like I said i dont have 15.1 compression, only 13.5:1.

To get the ROL HT gaskets to hold at this compresion level all I had to do is install the extra head bolts on my SR heads, drill the block and used a gasket punch on the ROL head gaskets to match the extra holes.

Never had a problem in years running this combination of iron block and SR heads.

With luck I was able to aquire extra sets of them before they were unable to locate and have been totally satisfied with their performance.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 7:11am
Well, I dusted off this project to get it back together.  I re-examined all the components and found the issue,  the coolant port on the lower front corner of the number 3 cylinder is cast too large compromising the gasket.  I can’t believe I didn’t see it before, but it is very clear at this point.  I’m told to match a set of felpro gaskets up and see if they will seal.  If that’s a no go I will need to tig it up and resurface the head.  Has anyone encountered this with the Indy SRs before?  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

Well, I dusted off this project to get it back together.  I re-examined all the components and found the issue,  the coolant port on the lower front corner of the number 3 cylinder is cast too large compromising the gasket.  I can’t believe I didn’t see it before, but it is very clear at this point.  I’m told to match a set of felpro gaskets up and see if they will seal.  If that’s a no go I will need to tig it up and resurface the head.  Has anyone encountered this with the Indy SRs before?  Andy
pfordamx View Drop Down 

AMC Apprentice 
AMC Apprentice 

Post Options Post Options 
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0) 
  Quote&nbsp;pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Jan/2019 at 1:00am
we have had nightmares with headgaskets 15.1 418 with indy srs went through 3 sets of cometics on a brand new engine would always pressurize the coolant system with load has yet to make a full pass. although i don't believe the gaskets are the issue the last time our engine was apart it was noted that the center water jackets in the indy heads are huge and actually going within the compression ring where the head was pushing the gasket wasn't compressed because it was in the water jacket. we had the center water jackets on both heads tig welded and built up and heads surface and now they should actually clamp the gasket. its not back together yet to prove if this worked or not but it should be soon and its going on a dyno to find out if its fixed.

Appears that your not the first and probably not the last. It's really sad that everything Indy makes requires addition repair. 

Tom
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 9:02am
Haha, how did I miss that in my very own thread!  
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 11:18am
when i 1st got my SR's.. i also had head gasket issues... in my case, turned out it took. .015 to get my heads Flat, and that was the issue i had personally.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2019 at 6:24pm
Well, disappointment strikes again.  I guess the extra head bolts are mandatory.  The engine builder I used has remained adamant that I don’t need them but that seems to be BS.  What is the best way to approach this?  I assume I just have the machine shop drill 3/8” holes where INDY has them?  My local machine shop has done this to a few amc engines but typically with steel heads and one with HLR heads.  Can I do this with quality results in the car?  Any advice is appreciated. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2019 at 11:59pm

Can I do this with quality results in the car? 
You already know the answer to this question, your just hoping someone will tell you yes. What I will tell you is you already have to much money in the engine to not do it right. Pull the engine, take your time, do it right, and rid yourself of continual grief.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 7:41am
So that’s a no?  Haha, I honestly can say at this point I don’t care.  If the motor blows up I’d probably be relieved, I could either start over on a new engine or sell the car as a roller.  This thing has been a disappointment from day one, for someone with time this it’s probably not much of an issue, but I just don’t have it.  I spent a lot money and put my faith in the notion that someone who has a great deal of experience was going to do what needed to be done.  I didn’t cheap out, I actually brought up adding the additional bolts and was assured that with studs and modern MLS gaskets everything would be happy.  If the motor comes out I’d probably like to send it to someone competent to fix it.  For something this seemingly basic to this type of build to be overlooked is odd and has me questioning everything.  I find it hard to believe this wasn’t an issue on the dyno, Im willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this combined with a handful of other things has made it obvious this is a lack knowledge or an intent to deceive.  Thanks for all the advise, I appreciate it.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 10:58am

Can I do this with quality results in the car?  Any advice is appreciated. Andy

I'd say yes, but takes extra care and time.  If you're not confident in doing it, pull the engine and send to the machine shop.

Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

FWIW, I drilled & tapped for the extra head bolts for Indy SRs in an AMC block with the engine still in the car (didn't have access to a hoist at the time).  I used a 90 deg. angle drill and the heads with drill bushings in the extra holes to guide the drill bit and tap.  Drilled small pilot holes first with a small ID drill bushing then larger up to tap drill size and tapped by hand with a drill bushing to guide the tap to keep it square.   Used a magnet to clean out any cuttings and flushed the block thoroughly. 
In hind sight, it would have been much easier to pull the engine.  Some machinists may cringe, but it worked - just took extra care and time.   Extra bolts weren't needed for my application, just did it because I could.

Hope this helps,RD.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 11:01am
 What's it cost for a machine shop to do the extra bolt holes in an aluminum head and block? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic