TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Diamonds out of coal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 1:25pm
Jim, I have a street 360 in the works now that I think will make 480-500 hp. I like 360's personally. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Have you ever ported a set of aluminum heads farna?
If not you might try it and then port a set of iron... let us know the difference.

Yes I agree they are lighter, easier to fix and shiny not to mention new...

I'll cut and grind iron any day over aluminum.
Talk about plugging up the tools......... I'm not a head professional as far as porting, etc. but have done enough to say - I prefer cutting and grinding iron heads over aluminum. 
I was doing aluminum head a few weeks ago and still can see the aluminum in my cutting tools. 
Maybe I was using the wrong tools for the chore, but it's what I have.

When I saw the topic - I thought, geesh, that's some hellish compression to turn that into diamonds!
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 4:10pm
When grinding aluminum I regularly "dip" the carbides in edge lube to keep them from plugging up

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/632

rbjracing.com
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Jim, I have a street 360 in the works now that I think will make 480-500 hp. I like 360's personally. 

I like 360's because off the shelf .030 over pistons still leave plenty of cylinder  wall thickness for another re-bore down the road.

It's too bad that the numbers aren't there to support the parts,
we're only a cheap 4" AMC crank away from every run of the mill 360 turning into a stump pulling 428.

I know you've actually gone down the road of trying to get one forged John so I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Star

Looking forward to your 360 build Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 5:30pm

When grinding aluminum I regularly "dip" the carbides in edge lube to keep them from plugging up

^interesting stuff,
does it liquify as it heats up?
Or stay a wax and provide lube that way?

I don't plan to make a habit out of grinding Aluminum,
but I started to take the outer exhaust port "lip" off my Eddy's (minimal grinding)
and filled the exhaust ports with WD40 before starting.

As the stone got plugged I dipped it in the port and kept going.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 5:37pm
When the burr has some heat in it and it looks like it is wanting to start loading, you dip it in the edge lube and it comes out basically clean. 

When you start grinding, the edge lube is on the burr slings off and away you go. The burrs do not load up if you keep using it. 

Never tried it with stones

rbjracing.com
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 6:25pm
The weight savings are the main benefit of Edelbrock aluminum heads. Actual horsepower isn't that different. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 7:03pm

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/632
Thanks for that. Stones are likely another issue, in some cases I cut fast with disks for really rough cuts. But the aluminum tends to plug the abrasive edges.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

The weight savings are the main benefit of Edelbrock aluminum heads. Actual horsepower isn't that different.

Two valid points but consider these also

All mounting surfaces warped, pitted, rusted. Every surface needs surfacing. 

Edelbrock have thicker decks for better head gasket sealing

Some iron castings have 4 of the 6 exhaust bolt holes at 5/16 threads so drilling and tapping to 3/8

Many castings have broken exhaust bolts which need to come out and possible thread repair

Guides need K-liners at minimum. i install full bronze guides

Valve jobs and if the heads were messed with the choke point is typically too large for best air flow so larger valves are needed to size properly, if that is a concern. It is for me

Very dirty to work with

Cracks, I have to admit that I do not see a lot of cracks in these heads. Almost always 291's were the heads I have seen cracks in

Porting takes days to size and get higher CFM 

These are some quick things that come to mind I am sure there are more

rbjracing.com
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 7:18pm
We assembled this engine a month or so ago...It was done by one of the top engine builder`s here on Long Island (Know retired)...Everything has it`s place...Alot of power can be made with a factory casting...but it`s hard to out flow a quality aftermarket piece...Just under 1,200 hp on a 585 low deck...Not AMC but knowledge is knowledge....If an expert is talking...i am listening.... 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic