TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc Brake Conversion For Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake Conversion For Javelin
    Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 6:19pm
I am new to the forum. I was an active member on another Brand forum until I switched horses.

I just bought a 1970 Javelin base model. I was wondering if someone can tell me where to look for a front disc brake conversion set up for this Javelin. I was told that AMC Concord will fit as well as AMC Hornet. Does the Eagle work as well? Can someone tell me what else might work with a little help please? My car is a driver and has the 360 with a Borg Warner auto.  All help is very much appreciated.  
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 6:31pm
Recommend you do a search.  Dozens of threads here on disc brake conversions.
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 8:10pm
Mel....welcome to the forum....great placed for help....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2015 at 9:42pm
You can remove any of the OEM supplied disc brakes from any AMC car by unbolting everything from the steering knuckle, that is the spindle assembly less the actual spindle as defined by competitive brands, by unbolting everything INCLUDING the spindle from the donor car and bolting them on to an earlier AMC car.
That is in fact easier said than done, but it Is close. As the disc brakes themselves varied between years, the later disc brakes are easier to find parts for then the earlier ones are. But keep in mind, the company went out of business in 1988 so parts are beginning to get a bit hard to find.
The above statement is true if the DONOR car is a 2 wheel drive version. Parts of the Eagle brakes might work, I don't know, I never looked at them, but eagle was a 4 wheel drive car and as you need to have the actual spindle which is part of the disc brake package, the eagle than does not have a spindle so then no, it won't work as a Donor.

There are after market packages available now for AMC and you have to decide if you want to purchase and use them.
Every one will have their own opinion to champion and mine is as long as I can find Concord or Spirit Donor cars to salvage disc brake packages from I will use those parts for my purposes.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 10:12am
You also have to realize that even donor brake parts for AMC's are already 40 years old. I originally swapped to factory disc brakes on my Hemi Javelin but it would not stop during high speed driving. Many guys like myself are swapping to late model brakes. These all require some sort of adapter plate to use modern rotors and calipers but parts supply is greatly increased as well as more modern pads for better stopping. I currently run 13" Mustang brakes on my Javelin and have put over 30,000 miles on this daily driver with no brake issues. My setup isn't for everyone since you have to run 17" wheels but only cost me about $300 with all new bearings, bolts etc. I got new take off discs and calipers from Rousch Racing for $150. Try that with Willwood or any other big name brand.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 10:19am
Wilwood is an option if you want to get away from vintage parts.
Not the cheapest solution  though.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 12:07pm
Dont ask me on my opinion on the Wilwood Kit Thumbs Down
(+ he will need disc spindles as well)

Dont forget that you have to change your Master Brake Cylinder too,
there are diffrent ones for drum/drum and disc/drum.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 7:01pm
Thanks so much Jim. We will be talking soon.
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

You can remove any of the OEM supplied disc brakes from any AMC car by unbolting everything from the steering knuckle, that is the spindle assembly less the actual spindle as defined by competitive brands, by unbolting everything INCLUDING the spindle from the donor car and bolting them on to an earlier AMC car.
That is in fact easier said than done, but it Is close. As the disc brakes themselves varied between years, the later disc brakes are easier to find parts for then the earlier ones are. But keep in mind, the company went out of business in 1988 so parts are beginning to get a bit hard to find.
The above statement is true if the DONOR car is a 2 wheel drive version. Parts of the Eagle brakes might work, I don't know, I never looked at them, but eagle was a 4 wheel drive car and as you need to have the actual spindle which is part of the disc brake package, the eagle than does not have a spindle so then no, it won't work as a Donor.

There are after market packages available now for AMC and you have to decide if you want to purchase and use them.
Every one will have their own opinion to champion and mine is as long as I can find Concord or Spirit Donor cars to salvage disc brake packages from I will use those parts for my purposes.

Thanks so much!
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by prostreetamx prostreetamx wrote:

You also have to realize that even donor brake parts for AMC's are already 40 years old. I originally swapped to factory disc brakes on my Hemi Javelin but it would not stop during high speed driving. Many guys like myself are swapping to late model brakes. These all require some sort of adapter plate to use modern rotors and calipers but parts supply is greatly increased as well as more modern pads for better stopping. I currently run 13" Mustang brakes on my Javelin and have put over 30,000 miles on this daily driver with no brake issues. My setup isn't for everyone since you have to run 17" wheels but only cost me about $300 with all new bearings, bolts etc. I got new take off discs and calipers from Rousch Racing for $150. Try that with Willwood or any other big name brand.

Yes, I don't want to get in that situation since I just restored a set of Centerlines that are 15x8 to use on it. What advice do you have there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic