TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

double exhaust 2.5 inches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: double exhaust 2.5 inches
    Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 1:16pm
Has anybody runned a 2.5  inches  double  exhaust on a 69 AMX with same suspenders and routing as the oem double exhaust???  

What are the problems i might encounter??

I'd like to know before i start cause my regular exhaust is fine would prefer 2.5 but want to keep original look as much as possible

I got a 390, .030 over, RB4 dog legs manifolds  little camed and Edelbrock  650 and would like to ear your suggestion on mufflers too 

I wish to get a little roarr but not to wake up neihbors in the morning just a nice v8 sound

I know exhausts are purely  individual taste but smtg  like mopar new vehicle or mustangs are both legal and ok for an old timer like me thks for your timeLOL
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 1:51pm
I have 2.5" on my '70 AMX with no routing issues. For mufflers, it's really an individual taste. As a recommendation, consider a 3 chamber as it will be a bit quieter inside the car, particularly if you have no additional sound deadener, yet, when you get on the gas, the 3 chamber will give you the additional rumble you want.

Greg E.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 3:21pm
Had 2-1/2 on a '69 AMX, they were Flowmaster Mandrel Bent for some year Mustang and fit.
Someone long ago posted here 3 inch pipes they made that fit, their picture I saved, not mine.
For reference pics of stock type tailpipes.
Challenge is over the axle and those 90 deg turns outwards in front of and around the gas tank.
Probably of little use, but here are Tailpipe Bend Cards.

jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 5:52pm
hi thanks for reply Ijust went on you  tube and found the sound comparaison of the same en gine with 5 different mufflers quite interesting for thos hho want hear the difference,just folloow the lien

the 3inches pipes really look nice but far more than i need, good looking though. happy to see there's no rooting problem i will probably opt for 2.5 since it's enough for my hp and already restricted my choice on two mufflers by listening the vidéo  it will be flowmaster super 44 or hushpower hp2, flowmaster prefered
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 9:04pm
Twin 2.5" on mine all the way to the rear bumper without any issues. I actually run an x-pipe up front that is located pretty much under the front uni-joint and have 3" pipes from the headers back to the x and 2.5" from there back.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 10:32pm
2.5 inch, x pipe, and flowmaster super 40 or 44 (don't recall) but went with stainless 2nd time  around due to rust out...  love it.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 11:14pm
For your engine 2.25" are likely adequate. I have 2.25" from front to back and it is enough for a mild 390. Online calculators suggest that 2.25" will support 400 or so hp, so not much margin. The slightly smaller pipes might even help your low end torque. 

People I know have found 2.5" a bit tough to get over the axle, though others have said no problem. What I have seen done is to use 2.5" up to the mufflers and then 2.25" over the axle. As the exhaust gas cools it shrinks so the slightly smaller diameter is not so critical. Also, 2.25" allows for stock exhaust tips.

As for mufflers, I agree with everything above, but bear in mind that 3 chamber mufflers will have a serious negative effect on performance. I went from 3 chamber to a set of Magnaflows and gained .4 of a second in the quarter with no other chnages. I also gained a bit more noise, so you pays your money and you makes your choices! 

Flowmasters are a love 'em or hate 'em thing. They often have a drone to them, depending on several factors, and can be raspy. Each combination is different and what sounds great on one car can be a disaster on another. And of course, personal taste!

Chris 
jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 6:58am
Wow i knew i would start a discussion here and apreciate each and every comment. Geek

I'm not gonna race the car in any ways and will drive it to the shows and for pleasure on sunny days since it's been under restauration for three years now  and is a reversible over restored car. 

I never saw it on the road before. This car is my teen's souvenir since i had one when i  was 20 long time ago now hihiihhihi.LOL

Rust won't be an issue since i won't drive it on rainy days unless i get caught. I will have to get the front pipe done for shure since i changed the exhaust manifolds for dog legs. This is why i am considering the 2.5 actually. I am now thinking of 2.5 to the mufflers and standard 2.25 from  there to the end as suggested by coowx. The lines i have are from Arizona and praticaly rust free so might use them and paint them with high heat paint.

I stil keep on looking for mufflers. I had straight pipes on my bike and finaly went back to oem cause they were too lousy even after throwing in all kinds of baffles. This is why i  will consider three chambers flowmasters 50 series and now will try to get the magnaflows a look on you tubeThumbs Up

thanks for all your sharing and i'll keep on reading till my final decision but what i wish to get is a nice roarr as newer v8 cars but not too loud I wish to get the car bback on the road next summer preferably at spring time so got a little time to argue ihihhiLOL 
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 9:48am
Have a look at Hooker Aerochambers.  They have a great sound but can be a little snotty at WOT without an h-pipe, depending on how hot your engine is.  I really like them.

Shawn
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:08am
Not sure whatyou mean by "standard 2.25". The original pipes were 2" and I will say that is probably not enough for your engine. 2.25" is probably the smallest you can use without losing some power, especially at high rpms. Another thing to remember is that smaller pipes will tend to be a bit quieter.

20 was a while back here too. Great to relive our youth!

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic