TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Doug Thorley or What?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doug Thorley or What?
    Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 9:40am
I haven't had to buy a set of headers in many years. I know that Doug Thorley Headers are the Group 19 units and that DT stopped making them, was bought out but is now back in business. Is there such a thing as Doug Thorley Headers for AMCs anymore? If not, what are people using. Where do they come from?

I'm interested in headers that would fit Rebels and 71-73 Matadors.

shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 6:20pm
I like Doug's headers. They are very well made and guaranteed to fit. If you have fitment issues they ask that you send them back rather than modify them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d104

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 6:54pm
They are now called just "Dougs" headers....nice pieces but pricey...I have a 73 Matador HT and run Hedmans with zero issues in 4 years. Had them grey ceramic coated locally when new and absolutely no rust or fitment/maintenance issues and I run locking header bolts with copper gaskets. I am gonna buy another set soon for my Spirit
tgoddardamc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgoddardamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2016 at 9:13pm
I have Hedman headers on my gremlin, they fit well but I did have to grind a bit on the mouniting flange to clear the head bolts. I had mine ceramic coated black and have had no issues. For the price I think they are hard to beat.
AMCya!
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 12:30am
The story is kinda confusing and complicated, but Doug's headers and Doug Thorley headers are separate companies now. Doug Thorley headers currently don't make any AMC headers.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 9:30am
If you want to go uptown and get some really nice units, Control Freak makes some. Thick metal, nicely bent and welded, ceramic coated. Not cheap, but possibly the nicest ones available.

Chris 
therebelmachineguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 10:25am
I've learned through bitter and repeated experience that when it comes to your personal health, you buy what it takes to get the job done. I've had it with cheap headers. Mine are so bad I have to hold my breath when I drive my Machine. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

These are survivor headers, Hedman or Hooker that were $179.00 new from Canadian Tire back in the very early 70s. Still in good shape except for the flanges. Two sets of head gaskets siliconed together and siliconed to the head and still they leak. 

Done with that. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 10:34am
Who was making stainless steel headers??

IIRC it was posted on this forum.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Who was making stainless steel headers??

IIRC it was posted on this forum.

Well, I can tell you who makes a really crappy pair of stainless steel headers. A company called OBX and they completely suck. First issue, they will not work with a stock starter. Second, even with a mini starter they have to be clearance on the primaries to fit edelbrock aluminum heads. Thirdly, they need clearance done to the head bolts.  Avoid like the plague and opt for the silver ceramic coating, they won't turn blue like the stainless does and they look just about like a satin aluminum
waltl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waltl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2016 at 10:23pm
I just went through the Dougs hedder experience. Issues with these hedders:
1. flange plates are cut in such a way that they have to be ground to allow a spark plug socket to clear and fully engage the spark plug. I had to grind for clearance for 2 plugs, #6 and #3. Edelbrock heads with 5/8 plug. Cant even imagine what the 13/16 plug access must be like.
2. number #4 tube fouls the right side motor mount bracket HARD. I had to notch the bracket and "relieve" the tube to get the headder to fit flat on the cylinder head surface. Other posters have done and reported similar problem with motor mount fit.
3. hedders are so close fit to trans that the stock BW M11 dipstick tube will not fit anymore. I decided to use a TF trans so have worked around this issue.
4. starter motor clearance, either Autolite of gear reduction, is adequate.
5. cannot get a socket on half the bolts, necessitating the use of a box end wrench to install and tighten bolts. (whats new, every headder I ever used was this way :)

On the PLUS side:
1. port shape is good.
2. high temp finish is good, although left side is not as shiny as right side.
3. flanges are very thick, checked great for flatness of sealing surface.
4. tube #8 is a 2 piece tube making in chassis removal and install easier.

Summary:
For the price, the fitment issues are inexcusable. Hooker Super comps and Heddman's were better but I do like the Dougs still.

Walt

Walt L.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic