TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Early 327 production?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

It appears to be coated in Glyptol inside, which would indicate that it has been rebuilt at some time as well.  

I have had 2 287's apart and they were both painted in the valley area in what appeared to be Glyptol or some kind of red oxide paint.

My all original 327 was Glyptol coated. The engine had never been open up.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 12:55am
I don't remember if my two 327's had red "Glyptol-like" paint inside the lifter valley area when I took them apart or not. Most engines in general don't. Perhaps AMC went above and beyond on these engines. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
8ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 6:08am
I haven't pulled the heads off partially due to weather, and partly because I am thinking of leaving the cylinders closed until some of the other parts are closer to ready- the radiator shop said it would be 3 weeks before they had my rad clean and tested. I also have about a dozen parts to clean and paint.
Thanks for the info on compression. It sounds like my compression should be mid 9's or will have 2 notches if mid 8's.
I am debating getting the cam reground to a mild performance profile while the rad is out and the timing cover is off. Are Oregon and Isky the only two choices? Can the stock hydraulic lifters and nonadjustable rockers tolerate a mild regrind or will i need longer pushrods?
I also am going to try to use a 360 timing set, as the chain and lower sprocket list as the same. It looks like the upper will only need a small oil hole drilled. Anyone else try this? Kanter is the only place I have found that has a proper timing set (for over $100) and I won't deal with them due to their nasty attitudes.
I tried making a 'member build' post but I guess I am not qualified.

Edited by 8ton - Jan/18/2018 at 6:15am
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 6:23am
Have you tried Egge Machine for the timing set?  I believe they supply Kanter for their engine parts.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 6:58am
So between the carb change and 0.2 points compression there was a 15 hp gain... makes a bit more sense, assuming the Holley carb is a bit larger than the 57 Carter... most likely was, but could be tuning. The Holley on those is only around 450 cfm, one reason it has great throttle response but gives up about 5000 rpm.

For a mild cam change you can keep the stock valve train. Something like 0.100" more lift and 20 degrees more duration will give you something that drives about like stock at first then wakes up about 2000 rpm and pulls good through 5500 or so. At least it did on my old 196 OHV -- great cruising cam -- good passing/hill pulling/speed holding power without affecting gas mileage a whole lot. The long stroke/small bore of the 196 is what kept it from doing much under 2000 rpm... just takes a while to get it turning!

ANY of the cam companies will usually custom re-grind a cam for you, and they will grind to your specs. You have to call and ask about it though. Lunati ground the cam fro my 196 OHV, but that was before Holley bought them out. I didn't really know what to tell them, the guy asked me a bit about the car and what I intended to do, then said "so you just want to pep it up a bit", and the added 0.100" lift/20 degrees duration (from 0.366 lift to 0.466 valve lift w 1.4:1 rockers, 244 degrees to 264). I retained stock pushrods and all, but the 196 is a solid lifter engine, so I could adjust pushrod length (adjusts at rocker). With hydraulic lifters would may need shorter pushrods.
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 8:00am
360 timing set won't work. Cam sprocket is thinner and wrong keyway, wrong oiling.
Every 327 I have opened up is painted inside. Glyptol or simular.
Fyi.
8ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 11:06am
Finaly got the heads off, the bore is 3.5 making this just a early production 250. Farna, add 3144932 to your list of 250 engines. A few notes: I do not believe there is a bore diameter cast in the back of the block.
I suspect that the 56 250s left the factory with hydraulic lifters. My factory '56 ambassador service supplement only discusses hydraulic lifters. Also melling lists a 56 specific hydraulic lifters.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 3:06pm
I had that casting number as a 327, but it is obviously a mistake -- no way anyone would cast a block that could be bored 1/2"!! Changing it. The early blocks might not have the bore cast into them. I know they do starting with the 63 287, but don't know when that practice started.  But look on the block behind the head, on top of bell flange. might be "3.5" or "35" there...

Interesting about the hydraulic lifters. I don't have a Nash supplement, just the 56 Rambler supplement. I know the blocks are the same -- you can use 250 solid lifter rockers on the 287/327 and vice-versa. The Nash Ambassador and Hudson Hornet Specials of 56 were more personal luxury cars than anything else, so maybe they used hydraulic lifters on them for that reason. This is the first I've heard of a 250 from the factory with hydraulic lifters, but then few of us have seen one of the 56 Specials, especially with valve covers off. Makes me wonder if the hydraulic lifters weren't added by a previous owner though.

Edited by farna - Jan/28/2018 at 3:10pm
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 2:27pm
8ton......keep in mind the pre-63 engines used different engine mounting system to the vehicle. The cast bosses on side of block are there in later engines, but not drilled and tapped. Keep that in mind if you are looking for another block/engine.
I have a complete 57, 327 if you need it. Fyi.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 8:45am
XRV8 Race Parts -for AM's '56-'67 Rambler V8 engine!

http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/index.html

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/05/2018 at 8:49am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic