TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Early AMX / Javelin Hydraulic Clutch Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early AMX / Javelin Hydraulic Clutch Setup
    Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 7:54am

Before I go reinventing the wheel on this, could anyone who has put together a hydraulic clutch setup for an early AMX or Jav please post info / pics of your master cylinder installation?

The slave is easy as space isn't a concern, but the master has to fit in a pretty tight spot and meet some pretty specific geometry constraints.

Thanks!

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Apr/01/2015 at 8:52pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 10:01am
Details in this thread on how I fit the master to a '74 Javelin for a T56 using a concentric slave cylinder (hydraulic release bearing).
http://theamcforum.com/forum/6-speed-manual-transmissions_topic48121.html

Modern Driveline and maybe some others offer a linkage arrangement to offset the master lower for an easier install. Looks like a neat solution to get proper pedal ratio and avoid clearance problems with the brake booster.
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/images/iahc_40003.jpg
http://moderndriveline.com/catalog/hydraulics.htm

Hope this helps, RD.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 12:40pm
Thanks for chiming in Red. I've got way too many questions:

Do you know the details on the MC that you used (brand, bore, stroke)? I'm pretty sure that the hydraulic slave uses less fluid volume than the Jeep hydraulic slave.

Do you have any pics of the attachment to the clutch pedal, and maybe the distance from the clutch pivot point to the point that the MC pin on the pedal?

You are right on the money with the Modern Driveline linkage - it really looks like a slick way to get full pedal travel yet a reduced travel at the MC. It would introduce more connection points for linkage slop, but would pretty much guarantee a nice straight push on the MC.

The other option is to angle mount the MC in order to get the connection point higher up on the pedal. American Powertrain has a nice adjustable mount for this, but it's $200. http://www.hotrodhydraulics.com/HRHimage/large-pedal-bracket.jpg

I could fab something like this guy did: http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthread.php?t=6328

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 4:06pm
Hi Chris,

If you check further down in the 6 speed thread, I listed the parts and details on the Wilwood master cylinder. They offer the same one in 5/8" bore - 1 1/8" bore, so lots of options to size to suit your slave. I did modify the master mounting flange & booster bracket to fit. The 90 degree fitting in the end just clears the booster.
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderList.aspx?group=Compact Remote Flange Mt Master Cyl-1/8 NPT Outlet

I see they now offer a banjo-bolt version, so should give more clearance than the 90 degree fitting?
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderList.aspx?group=Compact Remote Flange Mt Master Cyl-Banjo Outlet

Distance to the pedal pivot will depend on master/slave bore ratio, pedal length, how much slave travel is required for full clutch release and how light or heavy you want the pedal.

If using a Jeep slave, just match the bore of the master to the Jeep master and try to duplicate the same pedal ratio. Go smaller bore if further from pivot and bigger bore if closer. Just make sure if you go smaller bore there's enough stroke to get the volume needed for full slave release.

The linkage arrangement seems like a nicer setup and wouldn't be too hard to make something similar. Still be less play then in a normal mechanical clutch linkage.

My Javelin is in storage for winter, but I'll see if I can get a picture showing the connection at the pedal ... but just made a heavy flat plate and bolted to the pedal, a spherical rod end and threaded coupling to the master pushrod. Car was an auto and using pedals I scavenged from a Spirit, so not quite correct fit for the Javelin.

To keep the pushrod straight and get the geometry right, made a thin spacer plate for the master and used a grinder to taper it on an angle so the master is angled slightly upwards toward the pedal. The rod end pivot is then offset from the pedal toward the driver to keep the pushrod aligned to the master.

Wilwood also offers side-mount masters, so could make a bracket and mount on an angle instead of using a flange mount.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd.aspx?itemno=260-12385

Hope this helps, RD
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 4:16pm
Red

Have you did much driving with that t56 installed.
What do you think about it.
How does it run out in your car.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2014 at 4:57pm
I just got it going at the end of the season and parked for winter before broken in, so haven't run it too hard. Still getting a feel for the shifting and the clutch to get a good rhythm as it's been 30 years since I've driven a stick.

Shifting is a bit notchy, but improves with each drive. May shim the side detent button a bit as many say it helps. The gear spread is nice, but wants more rear gear to better match my cam ... or less cam to better match the gear (currently 3.15, planning on 3.73 or 4.10 ... or a smaller cam).

Overall much more fun than the slush box that was in it, but will give a better report next year.

How's your Viper Spec T56 been?

Thanks,RD.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2014 at 11:16am
I spent some more time digging and based on the Novak site and info from Centerforce I'm going to need about 1.25" of travel at the slave cylinder. That takes into account the ratio of the '83 Jeep throwout arm, disk clearance, and free play.

The stock '83 Jeep MC could do the job with it's 13/16" bore and 2" travel, but it's got a fixed reservoir so angle mounting would be out of the question. It would require some version of the funky lever mount bracket Modern Driveline makes then. I could fab something like that up, but it'd be hard to access the reservoir once it's in place.

To go with an angle mount setup using a Wilwood remote res MC might require a larger bore MC, as the stroke on the Wilwood MC units is pretty short. Their 7/8" bore remote mount 260-3376 has only 1.2" travel. To get 1.25" travel from the 7/8" bore Jeep slave requires 0.75 in3 of fluid displacement, and the Wilwood 260-3376 (7/8") only gives 0.72 in3. Their black one in 7/8" bore only gives 0.67 in3, so no help there. I think it'd have to be a 1" bore unit if I go Wilwood.

I'm starting to think the larger bore might be nice though in order to have more leg force needed. I don't want the clutch to feel like it came from a Hyundai. In order to get the MC travel down I have to crank the pedal ratio way up, and the result takes about half as much leg force as the stock mechanical setup. Moving up on MC bore size would help bring it back toward the stock feel.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 9:30am
I had an '80 Spirit with factory hydraulic clutch. It used a master w/ remote reservoir on the firewall connected by a tube and an external slave mounted on the bell. Maybe this master / slave combo would work?

My 74 Javelin and 73 Hornet both used a brake booster mounted horizontally with a linkage arrangement to the brake pedal, so similar idea as the linkage arrangement for the offset clutch master. This would likely give the most options for different masters. The later Spirit and Concord mounted the booster angled up with the pushrod direct to pedal. I fit one to my Hornet when the booster went bad ... but, sorry, don't remember if I changed brake pedal or drilled a new hole, but the bracket bolted up to the firewall fine. Not sure if the angled booster gives more clearance for the clutch master?

Below are a couple photos showing the inside where the master is mounted (boot removed to show pushrod is straight into the master). I made a 3/8" thick bracket with a hole that fits snug to the pedal pivot tube and bolted to the side of the pedal to allow easy geometry changes by fitting a different bracket. A heim is bolted to the bracket with a threaded coupling to the pushrod and a jam nut.   Also the photos showing the master and remote reservoir from the other thread.

Hope this helps, RD.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 11:57am
I spent a little time laying out the four-bar linkage setup like Modern Driveline uses, and it's just too darn low on the firewall.

I'm going to go with a straight linkage instead. With the MC tight up against the firewall it'll fit. The MC ends up at exactly 45 degrees.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 5:32pm
Here's why it's just too low. You can see how high up the carpet goes on the left side of this pic in relation to the knockout for the clutch rod. The pivot for the 4-bar linkage would have to be below that yet, which is just to dang far down IMO.

You can also see from this pic that there's no way to position the clutch MC higher, as there are brackets and such in the way as you travel up the firewall.

I like using the original clutch rod hole and mounting bolt holes though.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Mar/12/2015 at 5:36pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic