TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock Performer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Performer
    Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 6:31pm
I picked up an Edelbrock Performer manifold for next to nothing and am planning to install it on my '69 390.  The guy I bought it from  told me it came out of a '69 Javelin, but the engine must have been a '70 or later because the middle two mounting holes are higher than the others.

The heads on my engine are from a '70, but the block is a '69.  That being the case, will I have to slot the holes and mill .033 off the bottom?

EDIT:  I just realized it's the deck height of the motor that changed in '70, not the heads (AFAIK not on the intake side anyway) so I guess the answer to my question is "yes".  If .033 is shaved off the bottom of the manifold, does some need to come off the sides too, or is it such a small amount that gaskets and clearances make this a non-issue?

Edited by CamJam - Apr/15/2014 at 6:59pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 7:38pm
Throw the end seals away and use "right stuff"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Throw the end seals away and use "right stuff"

You bet!  I also have a 1970 Opel GT, and Opel engines (like most foreign cars of the period) are notorious for leaking oil.  Since I sealed my oil pan with Right Stuff it's the first time it hasn't leaked in 40+ years.

idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2014 at 9:47pm
I would test fit the intake before I started cutting......it may work with the right gasket combo.....
and yes "right stuff" really works good.....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 12:25am
What he said ^^^^^^^ Do not automatically cut anything until you find that you have a need to do so.  As to the "Right Stuff" never heard of it.  That means nothing except I have no idea what it is and besides I never had a problem using the proper gasket.  Which goes back to checking the fit before you do anything.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 1:07am
Ok, thanks guys.  "Right Stuff" is a Permatex product.  It was developed in response to car manufacturer's desire to have a gasket product that could be put into use immediately without having to wait for it to cure.  I believe Honda/GM/Mopar each have an equivalent product that they use on their assembly lines and in dealerships.  It really works well.  Stick's like $%^& to a blanket.  You'll need a good size pry bar to get your oil pan off again.  Some use it instead of a gasket, but I have had better results using it in addition to the gasket.

Edited by CamJam - Apr/16/2014 at 1:10am

oleblue69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleblue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 10:28pm
tsanchez View Drop Down............hey send me a picture of your Javelin please
JSACK390@aol.com
JS
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 8:51am
Actually, mine is a BBO 69 AMX. Lots of photos on my "members projects" thread.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic