TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

electric fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 6:14am
As long as there is enough flex line and wire it will work, but could catch anything on the road. And you're talking about off roading with it??? I'd also be concerned that the constant vibration and bouncing would shorten the life of the axle mounted pump.

The frame rail lower than the tank should work fine. The closer to the tank the better for the life of the pump, but lower than the tank helps tremendously. It's not hard to drop a pump in the tank as long as you don't mind running at least 1/8th tank of gas all the time. Let it get much lower and the sloshing fuel can starve the pump on curves and steep hills. When I had one in a stock tank with no baffles I once parked on an incline with low fuel. Had to roll car down to a level to start, then went straight to gas station.

Here's how to mount a pump in an old-style tank:
Just scroll down to the 7th post.
Frank Swygert
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2018 at 4:39pm
Well really this is just current progress for getting the engine to reliably start on command. This car hasn't gone anywhere in 5 years and that will change soon. The wiring isn't final until the pump and regulator are in a more sane position. There's a lot of weld wires that I feed through the frame to fish these into position and I just finished the diagnostic center lamps since I can never seem to hold onto a working phone or flashlight in an emergency. I would do the in tank fuel pump since that makes things much easier from a reliability standpoint but engineering that to fit and in a way that meets my schedule and maintenance cycles is a nightmare so I'd rather use an external pump and a fuel mat.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 3:13am
Please remove it off the axle before using it on a public road. You are putting your life, and other motorists lives at risk.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2018 at 11:55am
Nah just call your insurance company and have them increase your liability coverage. That way if you light yourself and somebody else on fire and you both survive the incident, their lawsuit will not cost you your assets like your house.

Honestly I'm not giving you a hard time about plumbing your fuel lines and fuel pump the way you did. Do whatever the heck you want to do to your car, I don't care. I'm just injecting some humor.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic