TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine and OD trans removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Poll question?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine and OD trans removal
    Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 12:14pm
A fellow I've met has a similar car to my '59 Rambler and he's willing to sell me the stuck 6 cyl and OD BW trans from his car.  It's about 200 miles from me and I plan to break down my hoist and take it in my pickup, along with a tool box.  Guess I'm more interested in the tranny than the engine for now.

The shop manual doesn't go into specifics with disconnection of the torque tube and having never dealt with one before, not sure how easy it'll be to separate from the back of the trans.  Hoping if I can disconnect TT flange, engine and trans mounts, the driveline will slide out as I hoist.  Yes?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 1:07pm
Take some prybars. And I would say the engine/trans should come out as a unit. And take another person with you.....they are a help if they know how to do engine pulling too...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:09am
Remove the radiator and grill... and of course hood. The torque-tube will slide off the trans as soon as you get it up with about 5-6" clearance. That OD trans is long and heavy at the rear though. If it's not too hard to get under the car you're better off to put the body on stands in the back, unbolt the shocks and panhard bar, then push the rear axle back. The rear springs may come out, as you have to push the rear axle back about 6". You might have to tug on it pretty good... hook a strap on the back. The u-joint is on a slip yoke but doesn't move in and out so sometimes sticks, and the rubber cushion can be stuck also. Then I'd take the four bolts out of the trans and pull it from the bottom, then pull engine/bell up from top. A lot less engine wrestling. With the OD trans the balance point of the engine is way back about the #6 cylinder!
Frank Swygert
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 7:41am
Yikes, Frank!  Think I might just take the engine and tranny.  I'll deal with my car's drive line later.
The car is just north of Lincoln, NE and it'll just be me doing the work.  The guy with the car says it can be rolled to a gravel road so I will bring boards and jack stands.  
I will attempt not to leave my blood on the rocks!  :-)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 6:29am
The only real problem with a TT car is it's hard to move it once the engine and/or trans is out. Nothing holding the rear axle in place! The front of the TT has to be tied in place -- up and to something so the axle can't move backwards when a tire hits a pebble. Same at the rear -- tie off to rear bumper or something. Got to keep tension between front and rear tie-offs! I recommend one tie-off in front of TT, two to the rear, one on each side of the diff. If you don't when you try to push the car the least little thing will stop a wheel and the body will "fall" off the springs. I've screwed two 2x4s to the axle where the strut rods bolt on (took them and TT off) and set the body of a parts car down on that, the 24s acting sort of like leaf springs. Screwed fronts of 2x4s to the body through the floor so they wouldn't move. Just be careful of gas tank if you want to save it. 
Frank Swygert
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 6:56am
Holy guacamole! I think I'll bag it. Besides, driving a non-OD car will keep me off the interstate and humble.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 5:27am
I'd go for the OD myself. Just discuss the moving situation with the guy first. Maybe he has a front end loader available... Iowa farm country?
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic