TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine dies or lose of power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine dies or lose of power
    Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 11:45am
1969 rambler wagon 232 A/T P/S Factory Weather eye A/C.  NO Power Breaks  we do have the Pertronics ignition 

the car starts right up chock is good  runs great. drives great then out of no were it will die.  or act like it is out of fuel.  some time i can recover it if i let go to idol for a few seconds in town.  if on the highway it will cruse at 65 for a few min then die completely.  it will restart after a few tries.  the car shifts great.  

i dropped the fuel tank last summer had it cleaned and coated also did new fuel line steel from tank to fuel pump replaces all the rubber fuel lines.  i installed large clear fuel filter before the fuel pump.  it is always full and nice and clean.  have put about 300 miles on it since done.  still having issues.  and real want to get back on the road for more than a few minutes at a time and enjoy it.  

any ideal what im missing?ConfusedConfusedConfused  
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 2:25pm
I think you have a vented fuel cap.  Ensure that the vent is clear.  Also, when is the last time you emptied and cleaned the carburetor fuel bowl.  Even a little debris can cause problems.  Did you change the location of the fuel line when you replaced it with new line?  Fuel needs to be cool (relatively) and dense to prevent vapor lock?  Joe 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 3:27pm
we replaced the fuel cap with a new vented one when we did the fuel tank clean.  we ran the new fuel lines in the factory locations to the fuel pump.  we did nothing to the fuel line from pump to carb other tan make sure it was pumping fuel.  it is in the factory location with clips.  we did take the bowl off card and did clean it up but was in fairly clean shape.  we also replaced the coil thinking it was going bad it didn't change a thing. i took it for a drive the other day 50 deg weather ran great for a few minutes.  we have good vacuum from the pump the wipers work great the vacuum lines are good shape i'm at a loss.

Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 4:04pm
Is it possible you're flooding, not running out of fuel? Like a float that's sunk to the bottom of the fuel bowl? Choke going closed, linkage or spring broken?

Or, is the fuel pump really putting out enough? I know you said it's pumping, but maybe it could be pumping enough at idle, but just not at speed.  I know that's pretty much exactly the symptoms I've had with weak pumps in other cars, both electric for fuel injected and mechanical for carb.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2019 at 11:10pm
an annoying sort of problem!

out of gas? (carb, line, filter, etc)? or some other thing?

maybe some additional insight if when it dies on the road, you turn the key off don't touch the pedal pull to a stop (when all that's safe and convenient), pull the air filter, then work the throttle while looking down the carb bore and see if it squirts.

if it does, not out of gas, probably.

if it does not, carb or fuel supply. maybe anyway.

has it ever been intermittent while driving? like gone dead, then a second later, running? that sort of crap is often electrical. the "run out of fuel" sensation is usually pretty obvious, and from the sound if it, maybe what's going on.

you didn't say up front, but has it been running all along just fine? and one day starting doing this out of the blue? make any recent changes?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 4:50am
I would pull the pertronix and put in a set of points. I bet that will solve your problem.
BBO390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBO390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 7:01am
Another way you could diagnose these problems is to install some tools right on the car.  A inline spark tester could be used before the spark plugs; when it dies, crank it over and check for spark.  Also a fuel pressure meter visible from inside your car would also help...desperate times call for desperate measures. Dave K.

69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 8:14am
Some of the replacement fuel caps don't vent properly. I'd try driving it with the cap off to see if it makes a difference. Could be too that your tank vent got plugged if it has one. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

I would pull the pertronix and put in a set of points. I bet that will solve your problem.

without a reason to suspect it, why?

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 12:46am
I second that motion... I get those bad all the time. You have that 'bad ignition system' sound to me.. I got fed up with those and only use points anymore..In fact, a Pertronix left me stranded in a customers car last month. I knew what it was. Back to points that car went too..
Walt

Edited by knightflight - Apr/16/2019 at 12:48am

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic