TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine extraction brackets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine extraction brackets
    Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 7:09pm
About four years ago these engine lift brackets appeared on The AMC Forum. Can't find the thread but did save the picture. Would like to buy four of these brackets. Do not feel comfortable using an intake lift plate on an Air Gap intake manifold. And, Summit's engine sling won't work well with an automatic transmission bolted on. Do vendors sell them?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 6:54am
There are many types and suppliers, Autozone has those. Just Google "engine lift chains" in images and you will find many types and suppliers.
I don't use a carburetor lift racket on an aluminum intake either. Mine is a spreader bar adjustable, but just 2 chain. 
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 7:24am
Somebody clearly made the brackets at the ends of the chain.  
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 8:39am
I don't like lift plates either. When we pulled the engine in my car we used bolts screwed into the ends of the cylinder heads.
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 9:53am
Smile X2, bolts in the opposite ends of the cylinder heads
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 2:16pm
If this put`s you guy`s at ease...I let a friend borrow my carb lift plate to take and engine tran`s and trasfer case out of a jeep....the entire combo got stuck and the front of the jeep (Grand Wag.)was off the ground...the plate came back bent like a U i put it in the press straightened it and it was good to go...Point being the intake or the stock carb. bolts never failed....It take a decent amount of force to break 4 bolt`s that size in direct pull...And if the intakes were that weak they would crack as you tightened down the intake to head bolts.... 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 4:59pm
one bad rambler, The main concern here is the aluminum Air Gap intake manifold which has the open space under the runners that separates the runners from the base of the intake. I have a carb lift plate that's been used several times on cast iron intake manifolds. The angle required to drop an automatic bolted to a 390 V8 into an AMX engine bay  is very steep and creates a lot of stress on various parts.  Almost scary and could cause disaster.Shocked
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 5:42pm
I've used lift plates on both cast and aluminum intakes and I've used home-made brackets I made from angle iron bolted to the accessory holes and then bolted to the chains, I've used angle iron brackets with holes large enough for chain hooks, and I've bolted chain directly to the engines. 
I've never had any problem, never broke a bolt, never broke an intake, pulled out threads, etc.
I also don't put engines in the top with the transmission bolted on - I do those from the bottom. It's a whole heck of a lot less work. 
I basically use my selection of bolts and home-made brackets and chains I have in a bucket and use whatever happens to fit the engine I'm working with at the time. 
When I worked at the shop in Altoona, we usually used lifting plates made of channel iron.

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 7:09pm
More than enough to support the load...But if your not comfortable thats fine aso
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 7:25pm
NICE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic