TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

enough carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: enough carburetor
    Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 12:08am
i'm hoping this will be enough carburetor: my 38/38 Weber seems to run out of steam at speed.

i'll take better pics later.

the trough plate is the two-barrel plate, with the Rochester 2G base pattern ("small rochester") that the Carter WCD uses. but i milled it out to one huge slot, that has the same area as 2 * 1.75" circles, that matches the Weber IDF 44 bores (1.73" = 44mm).

the adapter, just roughed out here but more or less complete, was easier than i thought (not that easy). the two plates are the obvious PITA, but i spaced them apart in free air with the correct alignment, welded a bar/strut between them (on a "sprue" since cut off) then fitted the two shaped tubes to precisely fit. (it's an odd size, 1-7/8" OD with 1.75 ID).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 6:16am
Looks good Tom.
You do that until you put the supercharger or turbo on it, you can only put so much past the the slugs.
Waiting for stage 4. 
Fahques View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fahques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 7:38am
Looks mean....love it
Hanky Panky
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 11:16am
Tom,
Try doing the numbers with this:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 5:22pm
Wow!
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
If they don't make it...make it for yourself.
You know Tom, it kinda looks like a tunnel ram.
Definitely a cool factor there!
Please keep the pictures coming.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
knobbler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2018 at 6:12pm
That is beyond fantastic! Think I may check if stealing some of your ideas here would let me get a carb setup on a 4.0L horseshoe intake that won't require welding. . . Hmm. . .
nextofkin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nextofkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2018 at 7:04am
in response to Knobbler I think you can put a carburetor on a horseshoe intake, by lighty skimming the top and using a 4--barrel adaptor to find holes and using it for mating surface for carburetor.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2018 at 6:37pm
I'm just sitting here and finding it hard to believe you're "running out of carb" with a 196 and 38/38 Weber! Weber doesn't post CFM ratings, but I've seen the 38/38 listed as 400 and 450, and the 32/36 in the 350-400 range. 44s are only supposed to be around 600 cfm. It's just hard to believe you need that much with a 196! A 32/36 *should* be all you'd need up to 5000 rpm or so, and the 38/38 a bit over kill. It will be interesting to see how the 44/44 works!
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 5:47am
Just some light math, but still need the turbo, I like it "Turbo Tom":
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2018 at 2:27pm
You're telling me that little engine with small ports and valves is actually capable of sucking in that much air?
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic