TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Every Car Has A Story....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 8:22am
No need to put in new brake lines if they are still good.  Old brake lines can be made to look brand new simply by unbolting them from the fire wall and using the red 3M scrubby pads that you can get at any hardware store or paint supply store.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 8:44pm
Looks like it's going in the right direction now! I've heard of 2 build sheets. You were fortunate to find them! (Most of us would be happy with 1).
Good luck! And keep the pics coming.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
JEZZ View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 8:57pm
I would pay big bucks to find one build sheet in my 70 BBB Shadow-Mask AMX. Nice project.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 11:52pm
I never knew about 2 build sheets, until my bodyman called me to come look at what he found.
When I initially left the Javelin at the shop, I told him to be on the lookout for the Car Build Order,
and that most were located behind rear seat springs, which is where he found mine and it was still readable.
But, a few days later, as he tore the carpet out of the car, he also found another paper that was folded up, under the carpet, and near the floor shifter console on the driver's side.
It is in rough condition, but also readable.
I found out that this was the Build Order for just the interior components of the car.
I guess the reason the build sheet under the carpet lasted so long is that it was not in the area where a person puts their feet, but to the right, where minimal foot traffic is.
Finding these 2 Car Build Order Sheets, completes my collection of all documentation and historical data on this car that I have maintained since I special ordered it and drove it off the AMC Dealership lot on 19, July 1974 with only 4.6 miles on the odometer.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by abndanger abndanger wrote:

Looking Good Dickie, I would put the engine motor mounts on before you lower the engine. Trying to put the 3 bolts on each side would be a pain. Also, if it were mine I would install new brake lines, repaint the blower motor, wiper motor etc while the engine is out. With everything looking so clean from fresh paint the unpainted area's stand out and draw unwanted attention. She is looooooking GOOD!!!

I agree, you have no idea what the inside of those brake lines are like. Moisture from years of storage or not changing fluid can deteriorate lines (from the inside) and make them dangerous yet they might look fine from the outside. As you can see on this link brake lines are cheap and in my opinion a VERY worthwhile thing to spend a few bucks on.

http://finelinesinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=283

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 12:03am

Thanks for the heads up on the engine bolts, I will mention it to my bodyman. As far as the brake lines, the bodyman has pressure tested/inspected them and thinks they are still very serviceable. The Javelin was in storage for nearly 19 years, but it was in a climate controlled environment and not subject to the weather elements.

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 7:38am
How do you pressure test brake lines? That happens when you spike the pedal during a panic stop, NOT the time to find out they are bad. Unlike rubber hoses, steel brake lines look and perform great until the moment they fail.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 8:58am
You can easily blow the metal brake lines out and see what comes out of them. In the desert southwest we don't have the same moisture issues as other parts of the country to the point that some cars still have original exhaust systems.  As for metal brake lines, who's to say they have not already been replaced on the car so a simple and common sense test is to see if crud and muddy brake fluid comes out they when you blow them out.  If yes, they need to be replaced.  If no then they are as clean on the inside as they look on the outside. Rubber brake lines on the other hand are maintenance items and should be replaced same as you would with any other maintenance item.

For new brake lines, there are three different providers.  In Line Tube, Fine Lines and The Right Stuff.  In Line Tube seems to have the most accurate bends and their ebrake cables are done in the original style rather than the vinyl coated after market style plus they actually make ebrake cables for some of our cars that are getting very hard to find elsewhere.  The metal brake lines from the other providers also work well but may need a slight amount of tweaking to fit properly.  
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 12:42pm
How about posting good pictures of your 2 build sheets? Those things are fascinating to some of us, and help us decipher the DNA code of other Javelins too!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 12:57pm
I thought our brake lines were aluminum??

Not a speck of rust and wipe clean and shine up well with mothers mag polish and a rag, without anything else. And that is on the rear with over 20 years of use on the road.

As for the Ford 79 F150 lines they were rusted beyond being used again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 55>
  Share Topic