TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Every Car Has A Story....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 55>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2017 at 8:46am
My 2015 Dodge Caravan, hardly a pony car at all with a 3.5L or 213 Cu In engine has almost the same HP as my Mark Donohue 390 Cu in motor which has been breathed on a bit. Performance is incredible however when started sitting next to my 390 Cu in 1970 Javelin it is self evident that the thing has no sole at all. But you have to admit it is bloody quick.
How does it do it? The 6 speed transmission and a 6500rpm red line.
Even my modified 258 Cu inch in line engine with 180 or so hp and a 3 speed torque flyte with a 2200 rpm stall lock up torque converter all of which emulates a 4 speed automatic can't match that kind of performance. But a 4500 to 5000 rpm red line is a good reason why not.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 12:23am
"3 Years Ago Today"....
On May 16, 2014, Linda accepted the keys to her restored Javelin....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 7:26pm
"The Story of the Plum Javelin Continues"....

G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 7:24am
Dickie,
You and Linda got it going on !!!!!!
You are a great promoter.

Keep having AMC Fun because you are on the right track.
Get that car one the road and see you in Temple, Texas.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 2:41pm
"Very First Photo Shoot"....
Friends,
I have posted many, many photos, on this forum, relating to Linda's '74 Javelin,
but none were the very first photos.
Recently, while unpacking some old storage boxes from our move, I found
a photo album, that contained some photos of us and the Javelin that we had completely forgot about.
The back of the photos have the date of :  July 16, 1974.
This was the same date that we purchased the Javelin....
These photos were taken the afternoon that we returned home, after picking up the new Javelin from Hooker AMC in Sherman, Texas.
**Pardon the quality of the photos, but remember that these were taken 43 years ago, 
and with an the old Polaroid One Step SX-70....

dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 3:49pm
She's a catch. Gotta love the bell bottoms and your sideburns   What was in the 8 track ? Grand Funk?
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 7:45pm
"I think there is a Javelin hidden somewhere behind that hairGeek?"....

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 8:56am
Congratulations for your success where others may find encouragement and inspiration.

I see this as the better side of what it means to be an AMCer, noticing the parallel of your pursuit to make the car exceptionally attractive, aligned with AMC's dogged pursuit to beat Chrysler, Ford and General Motors in the highly competitive field of Trans Am racing.

(there were no minivans racing Trans Am back then!)

Seeing pics of your car now takes me way back to when I was a kid who enjoyed sitting in all the new AMC cars at my local dealership; the aggressively styled Javelin inspired fantasies of speed and power in my mind, even a sense of daring cultural innovation -their 'looks' were much more than an 'ice breaker'; the '71-'74 models were truly without equal for their bold curvy shapes, not muted or oppressed by any peer group pecking order.

AMC produced a winning race car and it was clearly obvious.

As is your personal success with this car.

Thank you for sharing your excellent story on AMC Forum. -D.T.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 10:14am
Perhaps it would increase our appreciation of the car's bold styling to consider how it's design is related to AM's '66 AMX Project IV showcars.

Where '66 Cavalier was a styling and engineering exercise to exploit the concepts of mirror image symmetry, making a study of the '71 Javelin styling reveals an exercise of non-symmetrical design.

Eg: If we slice the '71-'74 Javelin interior into four equal sections, no section is a mirror image of the other three sections: each quarter is uniquely styled, demanding three times the amount of design and manufacturing processes.

(same overall concept migrated to '75 Pacer but with an eye toward practicality, where the unequal length driver and passenger side doors related to actual usefulness... -still contrast-related to '66 Cavalier)

Though many automotive writers have attempted to explain the daring curved shapes of '71/4 Javelin's fenders, virtually none of them reveal AMC's intentional non-symmetrical design:

On the drawing board, the curve of the front fenders differs from the curve of the rear fenders which doubles the mathematical language to describe their shapes.

Neither can the artist use the same 'french curve' tool to duplicate the flowing lines, which forces creativity upon the hands of the artist as they cannot draw an echoic, generic line.

In this way, the styling of a '71-'74 Javelin attains a sense of creative authority by it's contrast to conventional styling which makes much more use of redundant design cues where the artist can use repetitive non-creative processes to complete their work.

Name one other car which has more non-symmetrical interior parts than '71-'74 AMC Javelin. (?)

Moreover, the non-symmetry teaches freedom of thought and creativity by it's contrast to what is otherwise an oppressed non-creative work of 'thoughtless' duplication.

Those were the days! -D.T. 
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 9:35pm
Friends,
I have mentioned many times, that Linda has kept "EVERY" single piece of paperwork for her '74 Javelin since day # 1, and today, while unpacking some old boxes, she found another piece of history to her AMC....
"The Paper Buyer Tag"....(still in like new condition)
**I am listed as the Buyer on the tag....
BUT, rest assured, Linda was (is) the OwnerBig smile....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 55>
  Share Topic