TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Excessive AMC 15 axle end play

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_schlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excessive AMC 15 axle end play
    Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 2:51pm
Hello. Hoping for a little advice. Replaced a bad left wheel bearing and leaking seals on my '68 Rambler American wagon's AMC 15 rear end on the weekend. Still have excessive axle end play(1/8"+). Far off from 6 thou recommended. Has anyone removed both the thick and thin shims on the left side to help close up end play? Axle end nuts were torqued to 250 ft. lbs. It's riding nice and quietly now, but fear it's going to wear out the bearing and seals real quickly if I leave it be. Thanks for any advice...
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 4:23pm
I've never worked on an AMC15, but if it's like the AMC20, then all adjustment is done from the left end, no shims on the right.  There's a block in the center that both axles butt against to set bearing end play.  I'll look in my 67 TSM this evening.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
old_schlr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_schlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 4:29pm
Thanks Bob. Looks like I'm going to have to go in again and see if it falls within specs by taking out the 2 adjustment shims on the left side.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 8:32pm
I had a lot of axle end play on a 66 AMC20. I changed carrier bearings but not axle bearings and removed shims to get it within spec.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 9:01pm
I would bet you have problems with the right axle bearing also. I would replace that side before doing much with shims,
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic