TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust/Muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 10:12pm
Dynomax Super Turbos. JJ Walker makes them.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 3:00am
I'm going to throw in another vote for Turbo mufflers. I've had cheap generic muffler shop turbos (probably Walker) and I've had higher level ones like Xlerator and Thrush. They all sounded the same to me, but I think the more expensive ones will last longer and are probably less restrictive too.

FYI, stock OE mufflers are basically turbos. Turbo is just a loose term for reverse flow chambered mufflers with perforated tubes inside.

This is a single turbo muffler, but dual in and dual out with 2" pipes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UX6U8bvXaQ
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 7:07am
I had to ditch the Magnaflow (2 in 1 out) on my Tundra truck. Got a good deal on it because the previous owner had that awful loud muffler on it. Droned in the cab cruising, and was a bit loud! Put a stock type GM 2 in 1 out muffler made for a bigger motor and it sounds good but doesn't drone.

Same with the Dynomax (similar to Magnaflow, just different maker) chamber style muffler on my wagon. Too much drone to talk and listen to the radio -- it was one or the other, and talking wasn't at a pleasant volume level! Part of the issue there is I have a wagon and the way the muffler is mounted -- traps a lot of sound under the car, resonates up into the passenger compartment. A turbo muffler fixed that issue.

As others have said, hard to beat a generic turbo muffler for a good compromise between sound and performance.
Frank Swygert
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 6:39pm
Stock muffler dimensions:
2" ID inlet/outlet, 16-3/4" length body, 22" overall length, 2-1/2" length inlet, 2-3/4" length outlet, 4-1/4" x 8-3/4" oval body. Offset inlet/center outlet

Walker Dynomax # 18107 for '71 to '74 applications (freeflow exhaust)
Summit Racing Part Number:WLK-18107

UPC: 086387181075
Muffler Material: Steel
Case Shape: Oval
Inlet Diameter (in): 2.250 in.
Inlet Quantity: One
Inlet Location: Offset
Outlet Diameter (in): 2.000 in.
Outlet Quantity: One
Outlet Location: Center
Internal Construction: Perforated tube
Muffler Finish: Aluminized
Case Exterior Length (in.): 18.000 in.
Overall Length (in): 22.750 in.
Thickness (in): 4.250 in.
Width (in):
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 6:46pm
Walker Dynomax
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 8:17pm
Couple of thoughts.

-First of all, the sound of the muffler will be different from car to car. You can get a general idea, but minor differences in pipe length, diameter, cam, headers/free flows, etc. will potentially change things. A good friend of mine liked the sound of my car and got nearly identical mufflers. They sounded terrible with a drone. The drone is a resonance that can be in the pipes, car body, etc. Just ask a pipe organ maker about pipes and resonance! You can ask as many questions as you like and watch as many youtube videos as you want, but the final proof of how it sounds on your car is going to be installing it.

-Second thing to consider is that turbo type mufflers or any other three chamber mufflers are not generally performance items. Some are better than others, but they are basically an oem compromise between sound, restriction and cost. When I replaced mine with an identical set of straight through Magnaflows I gained an actual measured .4 of a second in the quarter mile with not so much as a jetting change. Any straight through design is going to be A) louder and B) MUCH less restrictive.

Chris   
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 9:45pm
I agree that a turbo muffler is not the perfect answer for all out performance...they are much better than old school stock....To me a magna flow is a glorified glass pack...so why not just by a glass pack? My friend runs an Ls with ARH headers y pipe and 1 flow master and a tail pipe...we have run the car on the dyno with the exhaust and open headers and there is only a 5hp difference at the wheels ...Not bad for a car pushing 600 hp at the wheels naturally aspirated..point being do you want noise or power???
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 10:24pm
The only real difference between a glass pack and a Magnaflow is the size of the case. A glass pack gives a couple of inches of packing around a perforated pipe. Magnaflows give a much larger chamber, which will tend to lower the tone if not the noise volume. This will make them less tinny and "rappy" sounding, but I would not place any money on less decibels! The only other thing is I would expect a Magnaflow to last longer with a welded steel body and generally more robust construction.

Chris
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 11:15pm
So FYI I switched my 360 Wagoneer from a straight-through Magnaflow muffler to a stock OE-replacement Walker Quietflow stainless (type of turbo) and noticed absolutely zero change in performance. I did the same thing on my 232 Hornet and also noticed no difference. 

The muffler doesn't matter a whole lot if the pipe is sized right so long as the muffler isn't absolute garbage. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 11:47pm
I suspect that they pipes and mufflers you had were overkill for the car, particularly on the Hornet, so you had some margin. Losing a bit of flow was not going to make much difference. Also, it is a bit harder to feel a difference at the top end where the benefit is, I am talking measured improvements on a certified track, not the butt dyno.

The most restrictive part of the exhaust will determine the potential flow of the system. If it is the muffler, so be it. If it is the pipes, fair enough.

In my case, the pipes were about right, but the mufflers were clearly the sticking point. If the pipes were not right, there would have been little performance gain from a muffler change. It actually began to pop a bit on a downshift due to lack of back pressure with the new mufflers.

Chris

PS: The mufflers were Walker oe replacements that came off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic