TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust retrofit 327

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust retrofit 327
    Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 1:53am
I've got a '66 Classic wagon, and have dual exhaust with a dual inlet/outlet muffler, stock for another 60s car. It's too loud and noisy, and I need a better muffler or a set of small resonators or both. I lost too much back pressure, too. Pipes are 2" in diameter. I'm ready for any and all opinions and ideas.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 3:33pm
I go to Carquest and they have a catalog with pictures and descriptions of all their mufflers.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 8:09pm
"I lost too much back pressure."

Explain how you know this.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

"I lost too much back pressure."

Explain how you know this.
  Yes...Id like to know too
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:20am
The trick is finding a place to put mufflers. The torque tube radius arms make it difficult to install mufflers alongside the driveshaft. Pretty much the only place for a muffler is up between the axle and the gas tank. That's where the stock muffler went and unfortunately it cannot be a very large muffler because of space available. You can run resonators at the exhaust tips, though probably only if you run the tips straight out the back while avoiding the gas tank filler neck.

That is why the stock exhaust on these cars was a tiny little 2"single pipe. It was restrictive as all getout but it was quiet and quiet is what sold cars.

The pipes also have to be routed around the torque tube radius arms just right or else the arms will hit the pipes on bumps.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 6:08am
look at muffler for Camaro/Trans Am...dual in and out.  Fits ahead of rear end cross ways.  A stock muffler will quiet it down.  Flow is plenty.

Edited by Rebel327 - Dec/08/2018 at 9:11am
tubular_joe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:22pm
Without any baffling or compartments it only stands to reason. I can hear it when I throttle up out of gear. It's just cycles differently.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:25pm
Both the Mustang (2" in/out) and the Camaro (2-1/4"in/ 2" out) are free flow types. You can look right through them. I'm using the Mustang unit, and the sound is crummy - too loud. Maybe resonators will help? Also thought about a 1-3/4" tube between the header pipes.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tubular_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:28pm
You're right - very little space for resonators. I have the pipes exiting behind the wheels, straight out the sides. That's where the original was. I'll have to consider running them straight out the back with resonators.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic