TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford Contour Fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Contour Fans
    Posted: May/31/2019 at 6:32am
I have a thread on installing an FSJ radiator in my 63 Classic here: http://theamcforum.com/forum/fsj-jeep-radiator-in-rambler_topic76414.html. Rather than add to that I thought I'd make a new topic  for installing a Ford 96-00 V-6 Contour fan setup. Note that the V-6 Contour uses two fans about the same size, and they have the same number of blades on each. The four cylinder uses one large and one small fan, and the small one doesn't have as many blades. The four cylinder type might work well on a non-AC car, but with AC you need the V-6 model.

One thing I noticed is that AMC changed radiator core size in the 70s! I think this was a 1967 change, but don't know for sure. Here is a size comparison of my original 63 Classic radiator and the 74 Jeep J-10 three core. Note how I had to trim the Taurus fan shroud to fit the original radiator, top and bottom. I think it would have fit the Jeep radiator much like the Contour fans do.

The Jeep radiator is about 2" taller than the stock 63 Classic radiator. The lower tank is almost an inch taller on the Jeep, but it has an internal trans cooler (plugs in bottom), which might account for that. The core itself is a good inch (or slightly more) taller as well though. I had to modify the lower core support to make the taller radiator fit.

Here is the reason I mention the radiator height though. This is Mopar_guy's Contour fan on a 71-74 Javelin radiator:

Note how the Contour fans fit snuggly on the radiator core. They fit the exact same way on the J-10 radiator. There is a small piece in the bottom center than needs trimming flush with the rest of the bottom shroud edge. See the small semi-circle just above and to the left of the right trans cooler fitting? There was a semi-circle piece below that. I also had to notch the top edge of the left fan shroud to fit snuggly against my radiator. Don't know if Mopar_guy had to do that or not. It appears that the Jeep upper tank is slightly deeper than car tanks. Here's a top photo of mine where it's notched:

The Contour fans are a bit thinner than the Taurus fan. Part of the reason is that the fans are thickest at the motor, but the motors are a bit thinner than the large single Taurus motor as well. On my car (4.0L EFI) the Taurus fan wouldn't clear the water pump end with the 3/8" thicker radiator core. With the stock two core radiator I only had 1/4" or so clearance between the Taurus fan motor and water pump. The Contour setup fits with more clearance to the water pump due to the motor not being in the middle, but I think the motor would just barely fit as well, but be too close for comfort (maybe 1/16" from end of water pump shaft).

Edited by farna - Jun/02/2019 at 11:10am
Frank Swygert
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 7:01am
farna my 65 American v8 the water pump is tight to the radiator  how far do the fans stick out from the radiator I have clearance problems with most any fans  that I tried pushing air from front
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 7:05am
I trimmed the original left and right mounting tabs from the contour shroud. Some have used those tabs to mount the fans on the radiator core supports, but that wouldn't work for me. I used the zip-tie type through-the-radiator-core mounts used for aftermarket electric fans. https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-210-Mounting-System/dp/B000HE6H6K/ref=asc_df_B000HE6H6K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312430092407&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11891526108785286220&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010377&hvtargid=pla-625497641912&psc=1
I used existing holes in the shroud, just pushed the mounts through the radiator to match.

Here is a photo of the right side of the shroud before trimming off the tabs. The lower tabs originally fit in a slot type mount on the Contour, the uppers on studs. When using the tabs on the core support, most drill the lower tabs for a screw. The upper mount "wing" will clear my radiator mount hole, the bottom blocks the hole. On the left side both wings blocked the mounting holes.

With a little care the wings can be trimmed off where you can hardly tell they even existed. I used an oscillating multi-tool to trim mine. I do home repairs for a living now, and I've got pretty good use that multi-tool  for trimming hard to fit pieces, even using it as a plane to fit tight doors.  You can see two of the radiator mounts in this photo.

Next I enlarged two existing holes to push my fan control probes into. The probes go into the radiator core. I've been told that near the outlet may not be the best location, but I use adjustable controllers and adjust them by my temp gauge. At least theoretically this makes location a moot point, as the fans are adjusted to come on according to engine and not radiator temp. These holes just above the outlet were just too convenient to not use! All I did was use a razor knife to make the holes a bit larger for the probes. That electric connection just above the holes is a big resistor. The Contour uses it to make the fans two speed by reducing voltage. I don't use the two-speed option. I just run the fans on "high" and have the thermostats set to turn one on 5-10 degrees after the other. I left it in mainly to block the hole, but it's there in case I decide to use it later as well. It's a big wire type resistor that is cooled by the fans.

Here is the type of fan controller I'm using:
There are better ones, but these have worked for me for many years, and I like being able to adjust them. Many use fixed switches that mount in the radiator hose or engine (usually head or T-stat housing).

After both sides were trimmed I painted the radiator and shroud to pretty things up. Looks almost like factory!

This is where I had to stop. Hope to put it in the car and finish the wiring in a few weeks. I'm running new 10 gauge wire (replacing 12) along with 40A fuses and 80A relays. I've run a Taurus fan on a 30A relay and fuse for years, only burning up one relay (that was an old used one) and never popping a fuse. The two aftermarket 12" fans I ran used the same wiring, just doubled. Figured I may was well upgrade and make sure there are no issues while I have everything out.
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 8:27am
You're darn creative Frank.

This looks good, like AMC engineered it themselves.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2019 at 3:23pm
Nice write up Frank. I'll add a few more to what I did in regards to mounting.

As you see I used some aluminum angle and riveted them to the shroud and then screwed those to the radiator flange. I didn't like the look of those tabs on it. You can also see I did notch the shroud for clearance as well.
I got a bit fancier on the controller and used a Flex-A-Lite variable speed controller. It duty cycles the fans when they come on so the electrical system doesn't get a big shock. The better reason is it only runs them as fast as needed so they're not as loud - not that these fans are loud. They also have an A/C input as well which I use the trinary switch for that input to it. https://www.amazon.com/Flex-31173-Variable-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0068HHSVS

I will also note that when I switched to a Champion radiator, this whole set up swapped right over to it with 4 screw holes in the new radiator. Wooster Kevin used the same setup for his since thios worked well for me. Brand new fans are like $100 from Dorman.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:21am
Yes, new ones are rather cheap when compared to aftermarket fans that will pull as much air.  Mopar_guy, paint those aluminum pieces black and you'll hardly notice them.

I haven't measured the clearance or how much the fans extend from the radiator, but here is a photo of the clearance with the six. You can also see what clearance is with a V-8 in Mopar_guy's photo above71-74 Javelin). Mine are close, less than an inch in a couple places, but enough. The water pump shaft on a V-8 is longer than on the six to bring a mechanical fan closer, but if you use the late model short shaft water pump (extra clearance for a clutch fan) and pulley you should have plenty room. I just went back and looked at his photos... looks to be about the same room I have with the six, though the engine block itself is longer, maybe a little more, but not much!

Edited by farna - Jun/02/2019 at 11:11am
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 9:59am
For comparison, a 90-95 Ford Taurus fan is about 5" thick from front of shroud to back of fan motor and has 15" or 16" blades. You can trim the shroud back close to an inch so the blades are just 1/8" or so from the radiator, which is what I did (see Taurus fan in first photo, on left).  It pulls about 4,500-5,000 cfm and is two speed (rating is when on high speed). There are two motor windings for the speeds, it doesn't use a resistor (three wire motor). You can get new replacements for about $80. The Lincoln MkVIII uses a similar fan. The shroud is around 22"x26". You can tell from my photo that it doesn't quite cover the full radiator, but boy does it move some air!! Note that I trimmed a lot off the top of the shroud to fit the early 60s radiator. It would fit a later model radiator without that extensive trimming just about right top to bottom, just be a bit narrower. Aftermarket name brand 15" fans pull around 2,500 cfm.

The Contour fan assembly is about 3.5" thick, 1.25-1.5" thinner.It moves less air, around 3,500 cfm, but that's a lot! Most top name brand aftermarket 12" fans are rated around 1,000-1,200 cfm.  The fans are 12-13" and the shroud is about 24.5" wide and 16" tall -- perfect fit for the late model AMC core as you can see. It's two speed, but the low speed is through a resistor -- the fan motors are actually single speed and run on high without the use of the resistor.

You can use a more advanced fan controller like a Derale 16795 PWM controller -- if you don't mind spending $160-165 for one. The simple adjustable thermostats I use are cheap but effective, and available at auto parts stores if one should go out. About twice the cost as one from Amazon, but if it's a concern they are cheap enough to carry a spare. The two simple controllers could be wired to run the fans on low and high speed instead of stepping them individually, or you can use a two stage sensor that screws into a radiator hose adapter or the head to make it even simpler. I like the adjustability of the ones I use, but you can get "better" adjustable controllers.
Frank Swygert
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 11:46am
For more information, Volvo uses the same fan as the taurus, but is removable from the shroud.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2019 at 8:08pm
Great write-up! Thanks for doing this and thanks for notifying everyone in my electric fan post too! I am really glad to see what it looks like.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2019 at 7:16am
A lot of people like to use the Volvo two speed fan relay. It's easy enough to find in a pull-a-part, not expensive new.

Wiring:
Note that any temp sensors will work, even the cheap adjustables I use. Mount the sensor in the radiator tank like this guy did and it makes a neat compact installation.

I don't think you can use a pair of fans with this controller instead of a two speed though. I believe it switches power from one fan lead to the other and doesn't power both leads on high. Of course you could use an additional relay and power both fans from the high side line. I don't really see a need for the Volvo relay though, especially not if running two fans since you'd need an additional relay. It just routes the lines through a single relay and makes for a neat package with a single two speed fan by using only one relay instead of a pair of Bosch relays.

Brand new controller ($53 + s&h):
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic