TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 Head on a 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milnersXcoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2009 at 12:15am
buy a good running Cherokee 4.0 with a 5spd
& swap it in - $500 to $1500.

Mr. Farna can advise on the Efi
wiring.

sell the extra  parts on eBay.

find a 2wd AX-15 trans & use it.

cheapest way with best results.
scout_71 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout_71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 9:49am
Would it be insane to swap a 4.0L head onto my 232 engine with out resurfacing them first?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 10:26am
No, unless you have reasong to believe the block and/or head is warped. It won't hurt to check both, but I've never seen a six cylinder block surface warped. I'd just check the head. Remember, if this is a pre 71 232 you will have to check pushrod length when performing the swap. 72+ models use the 4.0L pushrods or the original pushrods as long as they are hollow to deliver oil to the rockers. 
Frank Swygert
scout_71 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout_71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2014 at 11:50am
scout_71 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scout_71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 1:24pm
I know that the 232 and 4.0 L engine blocks are similar.  How about the motor mounts, are they the same? I know there will be transmission issues, but can I bolt the 4.0 to the existing 232 mounts? 
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by scout_71 scout_71 wrote:

I know that the 232 and 4.0 L engine blocks are similar.  How about the motor mounts, are they the same? I know there will be transmission issues, but can I bolt the 4.0 to the existing 232 mounts? 

Yes the 4.0L block will take the mounts, unless is is a 2000 and newer block with the 5 bolt waterpump. They stopped putting the bosses for the early chassis on the last series of blocks.

On mine I rounded a few of the edges of the bosses as they hit the brackets and kept them from sitting firm against the boss. One hole on the left side mount bracket needs to be drilled out and you will need a 10mm (or 12mm?) bolt for it. That large home was designed for the knock sensor on the 87-90 Renix systems.

Make sure you go to a 2wd car 232 or 258 oilpan too. The Jeep pan will hang down 1" below the crossmember and even though you think it will be OK, it won't, trust me, ask Farna how we know about the pan Dead. Need to change picup too.

Edited by Wrambler - Jun/18/2014 at 2:36pm
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 8:24pm
I think it depends where the engine comes from.
I have a 258 in place for the 232 , and I had to use the 232 supports .
Not a huge pb.

Of course, if you think about switching a 232 for a 4.0, transmission may be a pb :)
But dont worry about motor mounts .
I promise you it s one of the more easy part of the job :)
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 8:28am
The 232 mounts in your Scout will bolt right on. Since you have a Scout it probably has the deeper (than car) oil pan already. If so you can use the Jeep 4.0L pan. Wrambler forgot you have a Scout and was thinking a car installation, which needs the 1" or so shallower pan and oil pump pick-up from a car (not Eagle or Pacer -- those have special shaped pans).
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2014 at 9:30am
Scout? oh, as Gilda Radner used to say...."nevermind". The pan that is.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
mjt084 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjt084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 12:15am
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I thought it seemed to suit my question so well that it wasn't worth starting a new one. I'm in a similar situation to the original poster except that my car is a 63 Classic with the torque tube.

The original 196 was toast so the previous owner fitted a 232 from a 71 Hornet with a 2bbl intake and Carter Carb (kept the original BW-35 trans which has been rebuilt). I've put in a new air filter, changed the oil, flushed the radiator, added a Pertronix Ignitor system and coil and changed the plugs. The car runs reliably and has enough performance to keep up with traffic but its not setting any land speed records.

I would like to warm it up a little and boost the city cruising performance without going too crazy or spending too much money. Definitely don't want to go to the trouble of pulling out the torque tube. I've been keeping an eye out for parts and picking them up when they come along at the right prices and now have three possible paths I can take. Looking for some opinions on how to proceed and get a result that would suit my needs.

Option 1
- Port and polish the spare 232 head that I picked up, maybe also mill the head a little for higher compression (our regular fuel in Aus is 91 octane, premium 95/98) ;
- Keep the intake and replace the Carter with a Webber 38DGAS;
- Isky Street Cam;
- 2-2.5" exhaust system.

Option 2
- As above regarding the head;
- Offenhauser 6257DP intake;
- 350-500cfm 4bbl carb (Holley 390cfm, Carter 400cfm, Holley 470cfm avenger);
- Eagle exhaust manifold;
- Isky Street Cam;
- 2-2.5" exhaust system.

Option 3 (the radical option)
- 4.0 head swap off an early 90s Jeep (lots of them getting wrecked in Aus);