TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 Head on a 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 2:00pm
Yeah, the roller rockers aren't plain metal to metal, so I guess they do work with just a little splash in oil!

One thing I meant to mention about the water ports on the 4.0L head. The ports aren't exposed on most of the heads, but there is very little surface area between the ports and edge of the block. Once the cooling system is pressurized there could be some coolant seepage on that side of the engine. I'd seal those ports regardless of whether they are exposed or not. I've epoxied a couple of them with no problems. Stuff toilet tissue in the holes then fill in with JB Weld or some other high strength epoxy -- after a thorough cleaning (wipe inside with paint thinner or other solvent). The epoxy will sag and/or shrink. I filled in the slight depressions after letting the epoxy dry 2-3 hours. Once it all cured about 10 hours later I just sanded everything down level. There was still a slight depression or two, but not problem there! Was most of the TP out before installing the head, but it will easily dissolve in the coolant if there is any left. Ware soluble packing peanuts (starch based, usually labled as "biodegradable") work better.
Frank Swygert
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2009 at 11:04am
Can someone tell me if I should use the 4.0 headgasket,or the 258? Also,should I use the 4.0 headbolts or 258? Thanks
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2009 at 11:09am
Originally posted by firefly firefly wrote:

Can someone tell me if I should use the 4.0 headgasket,or the 258? Also,should I use the 4.0 headbolts or 258? Thanks

You would use the headgasket to match the bore of the block so the 258 is it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2009 at 1:27pm
The bolts won't matter, they should be the same length and size. I defaulted to the 258 bolts when I did the upgrade on my own 258 (2000 4.0L head). 
Frank Swygert
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:19pm
Ok, I decided to go with the 4.0 head on my engine.  I'm new to cars so a list of what i need and what i will need to do would be great if someone could provide it.  Also i was wondering if the headers and intake i have for my 232 will work on the 4.0?

Thanks,
Zach
Zach Orcutt

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:38pm
You can't use your existing iron intake or exhaust. You must use a 4.0L exhaust, but can use a mid 1980 or later 258 aluminum intake. Use the 4.0L head gasket. There are several sites with a good list -- search "Jeep 258 4.0L head swap" (or change 258 to 4.2L).

The only problem you might run into is the pushrod length. Check it for length with the 232 pushrods, but they may not be correct. When you get the 4.0L head get the pushrods too if you're pulling it from a salvage yard, just in case. I used 258 pushrods in my 83 258 w/4.0L head, but the old rocker shaft 232 pushrods usually aren't hollow, and you must have hollow pushrods for the 4.0L head. Won't hurt to use one for testing though, just turn the engine over by hand.

You may need to order an adjustable pushrod, adjust it to work, then order a set of pushrods that length. You may need custom pushrods, but there's a good chance some application will fit... if the 232 or 4.0L pushrods aren't correct.   

Edited by farna - Aug/31/2009 at 3:39pm
Frank Swygert
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:44pm
I'd say there's a good chance you'll have to address the lifters one way or another. Either replace with new or toss in a small cam since you're already half way there. I doubt the 232 lifters will have an oil feed hole in the top so the push rods would be for naught and you'll smoke the rockers.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 3:54pm
IIRC the lifters do have an oil feed hole, but that might just be later model replacements and not originals. As you mentioned... "there's a good chance..."  It's been a long time since I messed with a rocker shaft hydraulic lifter engine... the old 196 (which I do have a lot of experience with) has solid lifters -- no oil hole needed! ;>
Frank Swygert
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 4:31pm
if you must replace the lifters, you must get a new cam as well, new lifters on an old cam and viceversa is disaster.
setting guys out by car lengths....
1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 4:47pm
I am planning on a new more mild cam.  Also planning on doing some head work on the 4.0.  I want to get the most performance out of the 232 I can.  I'll also have to decide on the carb and everything else later.  Possibly now I will have a header that will work for a pre 72' 232 for sale, if it all works out.
Zach Orcutt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic