TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 Head on a 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 5:18pm
150K is just a little over half life. It it's been reasonably taken care of you can expect another 100K out of it before you have any problems if you do a few things like replace the front and rear seal, oil pan gasket, clean the oil pickup screen, replace valve cover gasket and PCV tube (replace the little plastic tube!!), clean the PCV baffle in the valve cover, and maybe replace the oil pump. Spend $100-$150 before you stick it in and it will pay off. Wouldn't hurt to check the main and rod bearings while the pan is off, and maybe replace them with standard size bearings. You still wouldn't have but an extra $200 in it after buying. Oh, replace the clutch before you stick it in if you go that route, and the hydraulic throw-out bearing if it has one. Another $150 for both, but again, worth it!

Like I said at the end of my last post, it all adds up!! But you get out what you put in, so it's not that big a deal. The clutch and all might be fine for a couple years, you'll just have to pull it later. Might last a couple weeks, who knows? Your risk. Not that hard to pull the trans though.

If you can run a compression check on the engine that sure would help! Needs around 100 psi on each cylinder. A new one will develop 120 psi-130 psi. With 150K 100 psi would be fine, and you'll still notice a lot more power than the 232.
Frank Swygert
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 6:10pm
Maybe this can help ..
Here s a 4.0 Cherokee 1993 head . The gasket is a 232 gasket :
" border="">

Same head , 232 gasket on . No doubt the holes have to be filled , and a 4.0 gasket used instead of the 232 :
" border="">

Exhaust side :
" border="">

Here s a 1966 232 head :
" border="">
Notice the exhaust shape :
" border="">

232 pistons :
" border="">

So ... Don t know is the pistons top may make a problem ( low compression ) , but for sure you can t keep the 232 intake and exhaust :)

1968AMC770Wagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968AMC770Wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

150K is just a little over half life. It it's been reasonably taken care of you can expect another 100K out of it before you have any problems if you do a few things like replace the front and rear seal, oil pan gasket, clean the oil pickup screen, replace valve cover gasket and PCV tube (replace the little plastic tube!!), clean the PCV baffle in the valve cover, and maybe replace the oil pump. Spend $100-$150 before you stick it in and it will pay off. Wouldn't hurt to check the main and rod bearings while the pan is off, and maybe replace them with standard size bearings. You still wouldn't have but an extra $200 in it after buying. Oh, replace the clutch before you stick it in if you go that route, and the hydraulic throw-out bearing if it has one. Another $150 for both, but again, worth it!

Like I said at the end of my last post, it all adds up!! But you get out what you put in, so it's not that big a deal. The clutch and all might be fine for a couple years, you'll just have to pull it later. Might last a couple weeks, who knows? Your risk. Not that hard to pull the trans though.

If you can run a compression check on the engine that sure would help! Needs around 100 psi on each cylinder. A new one will develop 120 psi-130 psi. With 150K 100 psi would be fine, and you'll still notice a lot more power than the 232.

hmmm...but if i go the rebuilt 232 route I basically have a brand new engine.  Tough decision.  Is there a manual tranny that will bolt up to my 232 without a lot of mods?

Edited by 1968AMC770Wagon - Oct/01/2009 at 7:51pm
Zach Orcutt

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 8:12pm
And after all that you still wind up with 150k mil
e piston rings and cylinder wear.
It's a waste to try and add performance to that.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 8:25pm
I'd do a little to add LIFE, but not performance. The entire EFI engine would add performance to the car though.

You can use any manual trans that was used on pre 71 AMCs. I think the mid 80s Ford four speed where 4th is OD will bolt to a T-14 bell. A 67+ big car should have a T-14 behind a six, T-15 behind a V-8 (both are three speeds). You need a pre 72 six bell for the 232. One of the Ford T-5 adapters might work with that bell. http://www.safepay.net/cgi-bin/shop/cart.cgi?db=mddata.txt&category=Adapters&merchant=moderndriveline
I'm not sure which one would work though, or even IF it will. AMC used the same trans bolt pattern as some of the Ford 3 and 4 speeds, but I don't know the depth of the Ford bell. Some of the AMC trannys had AMC unique input shafts, I think. I just don't know enough about the Fords at all!! I'm pretty sure the 60-65 140/170 six adapter will work on a T-96 bell.

Edited by farna - Oct/01/2009 at 8:25pm
Frank Swygert
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I'd do a little to add LIFE, but not performance.

Adding a little lifer to it is replacing seals and  maybe tossing a cheap valve job on it. Not the time and expense of a head conversion.  If you wind up with more blowby after you have valves that seal then what? Start over?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 8:58pm
We've got turned around somewhere Ron!! I was talking about changing the seals and such on a 150K 4.0L before replacing the 232 with it, not doing all that to the 232 and swapping on the 4.0L head. 
Frank Swygert
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2009 at 8:59pm
One question  ...
Adapter  is necessery  because the bolt pattern of the engine and the trans bell housing are not the same . Easy to understand .
But ... I naively suppose that an engine shaft from an L6 AMC is not always supposed to be the same than a Ford / GM / whatever . Not the same diameter , nut the same number of tooth  , lenght , etc ....
Or are they most compatible ??? In this case , you could adapt quite any trans to any engine ...
Must we have a machined sleeve between trans and engine ?
I hope I m clear enough ....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2009 at 6:09am
You are correct! SOME makes use the same length shaft, or close enough to the same length that the transmission will work. Not all Ford transmissions will work, you have to have the correct model. Length of the input shaft is the only critical measurement once the bolt pattern is dealt with. The diameter and number of splines mean that you may have to mix and match clutch components -- an AMC pressure plate on the AMC flywheel, a Ford clutch disc of the appropriate diameter on the input shaft, and maybe a Ford throw-out bearing.  The transmission adapter takes into account the input shaft length with the thickness of the adapter. The AMC six cylinder bell housing is 6.5" between each mounting face. The input shaft is roughly 7" long, with 1/2" going into the end of the crankshaft in a pilot bushing. The bushing may have to be custom made for a different transmission also, but they are usually simple bronze bushings and easy to adapt.
Frank Swygert
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2009 at 6:48am
It s so easy so ...
There may be a chance to adapt a 5 speed manual , so , event keeping the torque tube ? :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic