TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight Blasting Cabinet Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight Blasting Cabinet Review
    Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 3:19pm

Hey guys,

Just finished putting together my Harbor Freight blasting cabinet and put 50 lbs of glass bead into it.  Cleaned up the Holley Street Dominator intake really nice, so I decided to try it on the GW aluminum rims.  Check out the pics of BEFORE and DURING blasting.  AFTER pics to follow later.

**** BEFORE PICS ****

**** DURING PICS ****

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 3:29pm
What are you running for air - pressure and CFM.
I've got a HF cabinet.
My only negatives:
the chinese light lasted a few months then fried,
The gun wore out and HF laughed when I went back for parts - even nozzles.
So I put a better gun in it and it's like new.
Worth it, IMO.
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 3:56pm
I'm running a 60-gallon 6.5HP Campbell Hausfeld compressor that puts out 125 PSI pressure.  I think it's 6-9 CFM, but that's from memory here.  It's a new compressor that was given to me.

My cabinet came with extra nozzles for the gun, along with extra film for the window & light.  So far I am pleased with it.
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 4:02pm
Ah, probably keeps up better than my sears 20 gallon 3 hp unit! LOL. It's about 25 years old.

Can't wait to get the wiring in the barn for the other compressor............ 60 gal 5hp.

I go through a few of those window films.
I can indeed recommend that blast cabinet - may not be the same model, but it's hard to screw up a steel box with a door and window!  It does seem amazingly solid.
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Ah, probably keeps up better than my sears 20 gallon 3 hp unit! LOL.

Yes it does ... that's what it replaced ... 220V Craftsman 3HP unit, like yours.
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 5:00pm
I got the same one harbour Freight sells and the light lasted a few weeks.....found another one on ebay and now thats dead too.... I seem to have a lot of leaks.....glass beads leak at the seams.  I took it all apart and tried sealing all the seams with clear silicone but it still leaks.   last but not least the gun sucks.....works....doesn't work....etc..etc..  I think I need a better blast gun but when I went back to get one they didn't have any.  Haven't used it in a while but with the plans to strip the car this winter for a total repaint I should expect to be blasting lots of parts for painting and powder coating.  Anyone know what gun I should look for???   that seems to be the biggist issue... 
I have a nice compressor...125PSI with a 60gal tank so it should work well.....Ermm.

Edited by sidewinder - Jun/17/2009 at 5:03pm
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 6:32pm
I have a Campbell Hausfeld gun and just order a couple of boxes of new ceramic nozzles for it last week online.  UPS should deliver them any day.  I think the website was something like allaircompressors.com for the nozzles.  The may list the gun too.   Man a good nozzle makes a difference and you don't waste so much air.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 7:44pm
Amen - size nozzle according to your compressor and media. and when it wears, replace it!
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:07pm
you really need to go to great lengths to keep your supply air dry.  Even your 6horse 60 gallon compressors will start spewing moisture even under moderate use.  You won't be sorry if you have dry air.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by sidewinder sidewinder wrote:

last but not least the gun sucks.....works....doesn't work....etc..etc..

If you're blowing out condensation, it'll also clog up the blaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic