TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harbor Freight Blasting Cabinet Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2009 at 7:06pm

I started blasting the stock steel Wide Track FSJ rims, which were donated for the Guatemalan GW build. Here's the pics ... more to come.

I'll be powdercoating them once they are cleaned up good.

I cut the fine blasting sand, which wasn't "cutting it", with Aluminum Oxide. So far I have about 26-lbs of AO cut into 100-lbs of sand. I may add more, after I buy it, since the steel rims can handle the extra abrasion of the aluminum oxide ... I also need to blast the new Dana 44 axles for my Grand Wagoneer.  It is now blasting paint/rust off A LOT quicker.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
zwiedee View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwiedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2010 at 8:40pm
I picked up one of these cabinets from summit wanted a black one, used silicone on all seams to keep it from leaking, works good.  Took a few hours to assemble by myself but can't beat it for the price.  Just wondering where everybody buys their glass bead, I got mine at Tractor supply 34.99 for 50 lbs. 
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2010 at 11:51pm
My HF cabinet works great.. Yeah the light went to $hit but I bought my bachelor pad then so the bathroom lights went in it which were porch lights and a 110 light switch went into the top panel for juice. Went to Lowes for a saw dust collector on clearance and bought a slide valve to control the suction. As far as the gun...Yeah the tips went out a long time ago. No they aren't available except online...I have a ton of air line fittings with threaded ends to go into your tools...which I slightly shave down the threads on the grinder and call it a day. Works great and is cheaper than the real McCoy. Glass beads are the best. Last bag I got was 25 bucks here for 50#. I like to use a combo of sand and glass beads. Get yourself a glass cutter and keep those old window panes.   It will pay off. I run about 165 psi through mine so it clouds the glass up pretty good. I bought mine a long time ago and it was like 160 bucks. Man, they have went up now.
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 7:56am
I have since upgraded to a bigger gun, since I bought the cabinet.  It now has 1/2" air supply all the way from the compressot, to the foot control, and up to the Bad Boy Blaster gun inside.  It works A LOT better than the puny HF gun that it came with.  Yesterday, I upgraded from a 10.3 SCFM @ 90-PSI compressor, to an 18.1 SCFM @ 90-PSI compressor.  It will be interesting to see how it works now.  The smaller compressor just couldn't keep up with the CFM requirements of the BIG gun.

Here are pics ranging from puny HF gun/hose, and old (blue) to new (tan) compressor.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 10:08am
Looks good...nice upgrades...makes me wanna go out and buy a new gun now.
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

Looks good...nice upgrades...makes me wanna go out and buy a new gun now.

Here's the link to the gun kit ...

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2010 at 3:16pm

Just fired up the new compressor.  0 - 140 PSI in 3:13 ... way faster than the old CH compressor (probably 8-10 minutes).  It is also WAY QUIETER than the CH compressor ... probably 15 decibles or so.  I set it on a HD rubber anti-fatigue mat, which is working well.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
nightmistwalker View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightmistwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 10:21pm
working in the industry for over 30 years most of the shops i ran usually ran a big 10 horse compressers which were what i would call free run which means they only kick the compresser part one when alot of air is being drawn and most time are just free spinning,,doing alot of blasting or d/a sanding creates the most air draw and chance for moisture build up,,most shops switched to the new high pressure pvc pipe due to it does not heat up by air traveling thru it like the old brass or cast iron would do,,always run moisture traps before your tools if you would like your tools to last any length of time. on this big compressers i always suggested to the shop owners that we install dryers to route the air thru to help eliminate any heat and moisture from the lines which is the most effective way to maintain shop levels of air use,,but these are rather expensive and for backyard garages not really neccasary for the part time body man..lol
trying to build a pro touring 1971 Hornet
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 1:37pm
I have the HF blasting cabinet. I cut an opening in the top, used a piece of plexi to cover it (screws and silicone) and put a full width light on top. I tried it with my 33 gallon Craftsman oil-less compressor (a headache generator) and it was good for about 20 seconds before the compressor kicked in again. I just picked up a 30 yr old Kellog-American 5hp 80 gallon two stage horizontal compressor for $300. It can work up to 175# of pressure. I can now blast all day!

The thing weighs 530# and I'm still tring to figure out how to get it outa my pickup.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan RamblinMan wrote:

The thing weighs 530# and I'm still tring to figure out how to get it outa my pickup.

Do you have an engine hoist cherry picker?  You could use that!
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic