TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 head bolt question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 1:14pm
I tried the cheap and dirty approach when I broke the aforementioned head bolt and bought a grade 8 bolt as a replacement. It twisted apart long before I got to spec'd torque. That's when I said "f$%& it, just pay the man", and got the ARP bolts. So BB is correct, grade 8s won't work.

If this fellow is on a tight budget, a wanted add for a used head bolt here would likely work. I probably have what's left of the factory set from my engine build in the garage somewhere. I would guess there are more closer to him.

r08ert209cali, that was a kind offer, but 304 bolts will be 1/2". This fellow needs 7/16"

Edited by bigbad69 - Jul/11/2009 at 1:17pm
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 2:45pm
I just checked a 73 TSM. V-8 head bolts at 110 ft/lbs, I-6 at 105 ft/lbs. These should all be 1/2" bolts.
69 TSM: V-8 head bolts at 90-100 ft/lbs, I-6 at 80-85 ft/lbs. V-8 had 7/16" bolts, I-6 1/2".

V8s went from 7/16" to 1/2" head bolts in 1970 with the taller deck block (GEN-2 = 7/16", GEN-3 = 1/2").

Out of curiosity, I checked a 61 TSM also. V-8 and I-6 head bolts, 60-65 ft/lbs. I don't recall whether the GEN-1 V-8 has 1/2" or 7/16" head bolts, but I believe they are 1/2" -- everything else was "over" built!

Interestingly, the I-6 went from 60-65 in 69 to 75-85 in 1970, 80-85 in 71-72, then to 105 in 73. As far as I recall the 232 family always had 1/2" head bolts until 1980 calendar year. Along with the aluminum intake, four counterweight crank, and other weight reduction features came 7/16" head bolts. Went back to 1/2" in late calendar year 1986 with the intro of the 4.0L -- 258 got 1/2" head bolts along with the 4.0L.

So the early V-8s can use grade-8 bolts, but the later ones (sixes and V-8s) need stronger one.
According to an engineer's handbook, a 1/2" grade 8 bolt has a max dry torque of 119 ft/lbs (7/16" only 78 ft/lbs!). So a properly manufactured one would be right near the threshold at 110 ft/lbs. SHOULD hold, but too close to the max for me too! I've used grade 8 bolts in 196s and early 232s, not in the V-8s. Doesn't sound like a good idea, except for the GEN-1. Definitely won't work with the GEN-2 7/16" bolts!!
Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 3:12pm
I'd check with one of the big 3 AMC parts vendors. I just checked APD Doug Noel site and for some reason he has 290 V-8 head bolts listed as a seperate different item. I know Doug use to have the bolts available individually, but now seem to only have new sets. But Doug Galvin could probably come up with a used head bolt or bolts for the guy for a low buck figure, if all he needs is one or two. LRDaum  
LRDaum
r08ert209cali View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r08ert209cali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

I tried the cheap and dirty approach when I broke the aforementioned head bolt and bought a grade 8 bolt as a replacement. It twisted apart long before I got to spec'd torque. That's when I said "f$%& it, just pay the man", and got the ARP bolts. So BB is correct, grade 8s won't work.

If this fellow is on a tight budget, a wanted add for a used head bolt here would likely work. I probably have what's left of the factory set from my engine build in the garage somewhere. I would guess there are more closer to him.

r08ert209cali, that was a kind offer, but 304 bolts will be 1/2". This fellow needs 7/16"

That sucks. I have a ton of them.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

The torque specs for a grade 8 bolt are less than the stock head bolts, so my interpretation is that the stock head bolts are stronger than grade 8.  Oh, and I researched this after losing a bolt, substituting a mopar head bolt, and breaking it off in a freshly assembled engine.  The stock mopars and chevy bolts are about the same torque spec as grade 8, not so with AMC.  I used an aftermarket bolt for a small block chevy that was supposed to take "20 ft lbs more than stock" torque, about what the AMC bolts require.  Best bet is to find somebody that has a 290-343-390 head bolt.
BB

The 7/16 AMC OE head bolts are grade 8.  The original torque spec, in 1967 was the typical grade 8 spec (72-77 lb-ft).  I remember this because I was a month old Big smile and changing a lot of AMC V8 head gaskets.  Ok, just kidding, there is a TSB on the bolt torque (april 5 1967). 

There were head gasket failures so they revised the head gasket and also raised the torque spec to 90-100 lb-ft to help deal with this.  This is the listed torque spec in the 68-9 TSM and, as said, is significantly greater than recommended for a 7/16 gr 8 bolt so it is not uncommon to have the OE 7/16 bolts break. 

So, with stock compression and stock head bolts I would use the industry recommended, lower, grade 8 torque as head gaskets now are much better than the originals in 67
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 5:13pm
Steve I think you just hit it! He's got a 77 and he was going by 1977 torque specs..... if he took those old 7/16 to 110, that's the problem or at least a contribution.
Thank you much to ALL who responded.
And yes, thanks for the offer, but he needs PRE-1970 bolts for sure.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 5:43pm
That is correct, the earlier head bolts have the lower torque specs and they will break when using too much torque...ask me how I know!

Any early AMC V-8 head bolt will work as will the later AMC V-8 head bolts if he were to drill and tap the block head bolt holes in the block from 7/16th threaded holes to 1/2 threaded holes.  I have two different 68/69 390s, one with stock 7/16ths head bolts installed and the other with the block head bolt holes enlarged to 1/2 size and using 1/2 head bolts.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic