TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 head bolt question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 head bolt question
    Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 7:30pm
The head of the local MOPAR club directed a fellow to me today - this fellow has a 77 Hornet that someone put a 290 in.
As he was putting the heads back on it, he broke a head bolt. Ouch, he got the piece out.
He's tried to find new bolts locally and the local Jeep place literally laughed at him and said they were sorry he had an AMC and could not help him. (Stew Hansons, don't ever go there anyway)
I was wondering - is there a chance that Jeep dealers may still have head bolts for the AMC V8, and if so, can I get a number?
Otherwise, if I could get him a few good used bolts to get him back on the road (I can tell he's a Rambler person, trying to get it running cheap and by himself)
I did help him a lot by explaining that you don't adjust the valves like a chevy - my first clue that he may have been trying that was he commented about the valves being loose and he tried to adjust a couple and said "they have the rockers like the chevrolets did".
I said it may look that way, but.........
I also suspect his issue is a bad cam, but that's another thing.
Any ideas on him getting head bolts locally?
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 7:48pm
You're talking 7/16 head bolts, not the later 1/2".
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 7:57pm
I thought the 290 might be different, couldn't recall.......... been a while since I worked on my brothers 69.
He thought it was a 304, I said it was really easy to tell - crawl under it.. etc.
He then said, oh, then for sure it's a 290. (he already looked under the car)
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 8:07pm
290 would be 7/16" bolts.

I broke a bolt putting my engine back together too. Ended up buying a set of ARP bolts. No worries about breaking them!
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 8:10pm
The simplest solution would be ordering ARP Bolts from ARP, Summit Racing or whatever.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 9:30pm
That's what I suggested, he was familiar with JEGS, SUMMIT, etc - but I suspect money is a real issue, a fellow a bit older than myself, and the location he said he lived indicated not a high-income area.
I said I'd try to help - so that's what I'll do!
I wish I had some spares here, I'd run them over to him.............
d7javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d7javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2009 at 11:15pm
Dorman makes head bolts.  I bought a set of 1/2 inch bolts in case I ever needed them.  The catalog had no listing for AMC but, the buyers guide listed the bolts by sizes.  As it turns out, the AMC head bolts and Olds head bolts were the same.
r08ert209cali View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r08ert209cali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 4:07am
pm me I can send you some used bolts off my 304
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2009 at 8:43pm
A grade 8 bolt from the local fastener supply should be fine, same length and all. 
Frank Swygert
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2009 at 8:47am
The torque specs for a grade 8 bolt are less than the stock head bolts, so my interpretation is that the stock head bolts are stronger than grade 8.  Oh, and I researched this after losing a bolt, substituting a mopar head bolt, and breaking it off in a freshly assembled engine.  The stock mopars and chevy bolts are about the same torque spec as grade 8, not so with AMC.  I used an aftermarket bolt for a small block chevy that was supposed to take "20 ft lbs more than stock" torque, about what the AMC bolts require.  Best bet is to find somebody that has a 290-343-390 head bolt.
BB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic