TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

351 in a gremlin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahaley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 in a gremlin?
    Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 2:34am
IM new to this forum i just got a gremlin and i want to put a 351w in it i need to know what all i need to do it       such as motor mounts      if it will even fit      if i have to beef up the front end and estimated cost          what about a shorter drive shaft     i am sorry if i made this in the wrong place   you can email me or just reply  thanks
ahaley1 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahaley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 2:40am
oh and if the radiator out of an eagle will fit it

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 9:59am
The Eagle radiator will fit. So will the Ford "small block" 351W -- it's about the same size and weight as the AMC V-8. If the Gremlin had a V-8 you're all set. I'm assuming it was a six cylinder car though. You will of course need a Ford transmission. After that you're almost on your own. You should be able to adapt the six cylinder to V-8 adapter brackets from www.bulltear.com to the Ford V-8. That's the route I'd go. Adapt the engine side bracket then everything will bolt in. Get Gremlin V-8 springs, but you might want to order them from www.coilsprings.com and specify 1" shorter than stock. I wouldn't go lower, the 1" should give it just a little front end rake. After installing new springs it takes a few weeks for them to "settle", and that's a few weeks of DRIVING, not sitting still. You'll have to fab a transmission mount, and measure for a driveshaft once the engine and trans are in. A local drive-line shop can help you out there. Call them for measuring instructions.

The rear axle from the Gremlin will last for a while -- it's about like a Ford 8". If you're planning on running traction bars and wide tires, or slicks, forget it though. You'll need a 9" or the 8.8" from a 4.0L Ranger. Explorer axle is too wide, Ranger is 2-3" narrower.

You're going to get some flack from people about putting in a different engine. Just ignore them. I'm assuming you already considered that, and probably have the 351 drivetrain. If you have a V-8 Gremlin sell the 351 and buy a Jeep 360, you'll be way ahead of the game. If it's a six cylinder Gremlin, finding a 2WD AMC drivetrain can be hard, and converting a 4x4 trans is a bit costly.

Edited by farna - Jul/13/2009 at 10:47am
Frank Swygert
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 1:22pm
do it....   just you better know what you are doing if you are going to make it run without issues. I doubt an eagle rad will cool a 351 with boltons.....  
setting guys out by car lengths....
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 7:30pm
Farna is right, but you will catch flack as he calls it. but its going to be alot of work.  the sump on the Ford is in the front where AMC is in the back...............You wont get much help on this website.  I personally do not care for these goofy swaps.  IMO put the 351 in a fox body, its alot easier.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 8:18pm
I forgot about the oil pan! You can get rear sump pans, but remember to figure that into the installation costs. 
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2009 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

I forgot about the oil pan! You can get rear sump pans, but remember to figure that into the installation costs. 
I have worked on all kinds of cars, and I like them.  but what I dont care for is goofy swaps.  I believe the engine should be the same brand as the car is. just me.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 6:51am
the eagle rad will cool it just fine as long as the rest of the system is in order

i got one in my spirit with a 160* t-stat and the manual flex fan with a shroud and on 95* days it never goes ocer 180*-185* in stop and go traffic

eagle with a/c is what i used and i can even get you the part # in a minute or two.....hold on
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 7:06am
The eagle A/C radiator is a nice 3 row and will cool just fine like 390 said, IF the rest is in order.
Those were heavy-duty cooling systems because of the Eagle's needs and use. they were towing vehicles and 4x4 after-all. It's no less a radiator than in my Javelin.
Now I'm curious - why not drop an AMC 360 in it and built it? It's a direct drop-in for the most part.
Personally, I'd drop a Chevy 350 in it before a Ford 351, but I guess that's only because I've owned a couple Ford 351s. LOL

Edited by billd - Jul/14/2009 at 7:06am
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2009 at 7:10am
its a Ready Rad 

its a 2 core but not the cheesy little one. the core actually takes up most of the tank area.

part # 43 3579 and it also says on the tag "replaces industry standard #579"  this is for an automatic so its got the cooler in the bottom tank.

it works great on my 458hp 70/390 spirit Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic