TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX clutch pedal identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX clutch pedal identification
    Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 11:03am
Hey all, here is one that i'm having a heck of a time with - hopefully someone knows the answer. From my understanding, 68 and 69 AMXs used a different clutch pedal assembly than 70 AMXs. What i need to do is identify if an assembly is for a 68/69 AMX or if it is for a 70 AMX. any help would be really really appreciated. 
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 11:20am
I know this site sells complete & parts for both maybe looking at the pictures you can tell or give them a call. http://www.amxmgs.com/  I have not used them for parts (yet) but I hear good things from others that have.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 12:03pm
Thanks Dave, what i'm actually looking for are the differences between the pedal assemblies themselves, so the piece that mounts under the dashboard that has the pedals hanging off of it. I checked out their site but don't see any pedal assemblies, just the clutch linkage components
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 12:09pm
I'm sure they are different in some way, since the vendors list different part numbers for 68/9 vs. 70+.  However, I've never seen the earlier versions, so have no idea what is different...

The upper clutch rod seems to look different on the 68/9 version, so maybe it has to do with the spacing (right to left) of the clutch pedal?
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 12:12pm
yeah that seems to be the biggest difference in the two kits on their site. the issue i'm having is something in the clutch assembly, pedals down to throwout lever seems mismatched, everything doesn't line up quite right. trying to figure out what it could be.

love the quote btw. 
amxmgs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2009 at 1:11pm
68-69 amx has a pin welded in to it for the clutch rod to go on the 70 up have a hole for the rod where is your problem  you can call  and i will try to help you the number is listed on the web site
amxmgs resto parts
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2009 at 10:32am
thanks guys - i'll be able to check the car thursday and see if it is correct. if i remember it is the one that has the pin, so that would be right for a 68.

amxmgs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2009 at 12:05pm
was this a v8 4 speed car from the factory because i have looked at many that were converted and the hole in the strut rod bracket for the outer clutch ball was in the incorrect location and a new one needed to be drilled to get the bellcrank or z bar to be straight
amxmgs resto parts
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2009 at 1:11pm
Ah! no it was a factory automatic converted to a 4 speed. that would make sense as the lower adjuster rod was extended because it was too short to reach the throwout lever. 

How does the hole for the outer clutch ball throw off the alignment? is the hole too far forward causing the bellcrank to not sit perpendicular to the firewall? 
amxmgs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2009 at 11:17am
yes it is i found this out on my 67 rogue all you need is a 4 speed car to look at and mesure i drilled a new hole in the proper location and it all lined up nice
amxmgs resto parts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic