TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'72-up AMC MT Ball Bearing Pilot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '72-up AMC MT Ball Bearing Pilot
    Posted: Aug/03/2009 at 5:15pm
Thanks to SKeown, I just got the ball bearing pilot kit for 1972 and up AMC crankshafts to mate to the input shaft on manual transmissions.  Per Steve's instructions, you need to remove the bronze pilot bushing from the center bore in the crank (if present), and the thin torque converter bushing from the large bore in the crank (if present).  Then heat the supplied sleeve, and cool the supplied bearing to get the bearing started in the sleeve.  Next, you drive the sleeve and bearing into the large bore in the '72-up crank as far as it will go.  The bearing will protrude slightly from the end of the crank.  According to Steve, this will leave the entire end of the input shaft supported by the ball bearing, and still leave about .040" space between the bearing the and the splines on the end of the imput shaft.  Pictures of the kit (installation picts will have to wait until I drop my tranny - stay tuned):

Bearing and sleeve (Top):

Bearing and sleeve (Edge) (note the slight taper on the front edge of the sleeve -- there is another smaller taper on the opposite inside edge to assist with starting the bearing and sleeve together, and into the crank):

Bearing is slightly thicker than sleeve:

Sleeve OD, ID, & thickness:

Bearing OD, ID, & thickness (NICE# 1630DC -- NICE catalog at http://www.who-sells-it.com/images/catalogs/1283/pdf_4079.pdf):

(All measurements from my cheap Summit digital caliper).

Will update with installation pics when I get around to dropping my tranny again.

Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2009 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

(All measurements from my cheap Summit digital caliper).

By the looks, I'll say those are repackaged Mitsutoyo.
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 9:10am
The bearing has "NICE" "1630" and "USA" etched into the edge of the outside race, and no other markings anywhere on the steel.  As with so many products these days, the actual manufacturers likely produce for others and put whatever label on the product the contract calls for -- could well be the case here.  I'm sure any bearing with the same dimensions would work.

As for the caliper, I've seen at least 4 different brand names on what appear to be the same identical device, so it's likely the same deal - one manufacturer labeling their product for a bunch of different retailers.
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 9:13am
whiz - he's referring to the caliper.  Mitsutoyo  (sorry, it's really Mitutoyo which one would expect to have the S, really)
That company makes measurement and test equipment much like Starrett does (OK, so I've probably mis-spelled THAT!).
In fact I have a set of their inside mikes in a wood box from a couple decades ago.
Ron - how did you know - do you have a pair of their calipers?

Edited by billd - Aug/04/2009 at 9:16am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 9:52am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

whiz - he's referring to the caliper. 

Yeah -- thought so, but covered both ends just in case.  (I think Toyo makes bearings?  Hard to keep US companies straight -- let alone all the Asian ones.)
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 10:35am
And most bearings you get at auto parts stores will be Asian unless you pay a bit more -

Was wondering about a ball or roller pilot bearing for the T5 in my Eagle soon to have a 4.0
I'll need a pilot bearing for the 4.0 that will work with a T5 nose.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 5:04pm
Thanks so much for that info.  Would you repost the source of the sleeve and bearing?
BB
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 5:04pm

Whiz where did you get the bearing & sleve from and do you have part numbers. It will not help me as I am going with a Ford T5. No Bill I have not looked into a bearing just the bushing. Then again it would not do you any good as the AMC T5 is a different size shaft than the Ford T5 from what I have found so far.

Some one said Dorman has bearing spec. but I have not looked yet. I do have the 2 T5 measurements of the bushings if needed.

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 6:03pm

I've got a gutted B/W T5 as used by AMC sitting on a shelf and could measure the nose of the input shaft on that, too............. I know the bearing retainer is different, won't speak to the input shaft.

But if we can find accurate info, bearings, numbers, that would be handy for folks.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

Thanks so much for that info.  Would you repost the source of the sleeve and bearing?
BB
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Whiz where did you get the bearing & sleve from and do you have part numbers.

The idea and answer to the above questions comes from page 3 & 4 of this topic: 

(I purchased an extra setup that SKeown had made when he converted his, so no part number for the sleeve.  Bearing is a NICE #1630DC or equivalent)

Originally posted by SKeown SKeown wrote:

I converted my 401 to a sealed ball bearing instead of the bushing. That procedure requires both the pilot bushing and converter sleeve to be removed, then a bushing made that has the same OD & depth as the converter sleeve, but with an ID of 1.624". This allows an SK brand sealed ball bearing to be fitted to the crank. The dimensions of the bearing are 1.625 x .750 x .500" deep. I put the bushing in hot water and the bearing in the freezer, then started the bearing in the bushing about 1/4 way, then drove the assembly into the crank's flange. I used a polly tipped driver and drove both parts as far as they would go to bottom them out. At that point the bearing will extend out a bit further than the bushing and allow the input shaft to extend all the way through the bearing and comming within .040" of the splines. 

SKeown
Ron Frost
910 nine two two 0563

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic