TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 Amc Rambler 990 2 door ht

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omblerb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Amc Rambler 990 2 door ht
    Posted: Aug/30/2009 at 7:52pm
Just joined up on here and am hoping to find info on changing out the rear end in this car so we can put a ford or chevy driveline in it. I traded this car up and gave it to my 14 yo son so he and I can restore it. Body is in excellent condition and all the parts are here.It has a 6cyl in it so if anyone needs the trans or driveshaft and tube let me know they will definately be for sale as we need a bit of cash to fund the project. Will sell very reasonable condition is unknown on the trans. We are in WV so hope we can find some info on here and maybe able to trade up a rear end and stuff. Thanks
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2009 at 9:18pm
Welcome!  Our car is a family affair too. It's a really great thing to do with your kid.

Just asking here - but why do you want to switch to a Ford or Chevy driveline? Is the current AMC driveline damaged?
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2009 at 10:34am
There's a "sticky" two from the top in this section that talks about rearend swaps.

Most people here will recommend you stay to a newer AMC drivetrain. It seems to make the cars more interesting to both insiders and outsiders of the AMC / Ramber world. Costs are not that much more to build an AMC engine and the Torqueflight trans of the 70's used by AMC is equally easy to build as a standard Torqueflight though it is not the same bolt bellhousing pattern.

Going to Ford engines usually places the oilpan smack dab on the steering linkage. Even with the dual sump pans of the 80's I think clearances are tight. Chevy rear sump engines will fit better. Again most AMC cars with "other" driveline take a certain individual to buy when it comes time to sell. If that happens, most AMC guys will ignore the car due to it's engine and most guys that like chevy and ford ignore the car because it's just an old Rambler. 

Gee, a Rambler in WV, Who would of figured such a thing....
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2009 at 9:12am
The 65 would have a 232 six. Check around for speed parts for the six. It can be upgraded quite a bit, to the power of a stock small V-8 (289-305 size) easily. Might be better than swapping, definitely less work.

you will find a lot of resistance to using anything but AMC power here -- it is an AMC board! But some will help you out. There are no kits, you're pretty much on your own, but it's not a hard swap once you realize you have to change everything from the engine to the rear end. I'd decide on a plan for the rear axle first as that's the most work. Maybe repair the six to have a little fun driving the car until all the parts are together for a V-8 transplant. Consider a Jeep 4.0L if you can find a 2WD donor vehicle -- that might be hard in WV! I have a 4.0L EFI engine in my 63, which is similar to the 65, and Mark (Wrambler.. who is in WV) has one in his American. The electronics are an easier swap than you'd think!

One more thing -- for engine swaps like this you might want to go over to www.hotrodders.com. I'm on there, and they are more favorable to general engine swaps into anything. Goes with the crowd!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic