TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Wheels, and Tire sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Wheels, and Tire sizes
    Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 4:51pm

Here is a picture of the car.  As it sits, it has 195/75/14s mounted on stock wheels on the front, and 205/70/14s on Ford Ranger rims on the back. To me it appears to tuck those tires in fairly stock fashion.

As you can see, it is kinda a saggin wagon at the moment.  I may make some shackles for the back to get the rear up a bit until I can get some new springs.

I will be using all 4 14" rims like on the front.  I am unsure as to what I will be able to fit on the car all the way around.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I just got my tax return.....Big smile

Edited by smoke - Mar/23/2010 at 4:53pm
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 4:25pm
Just an update, and request for more info as I am getting ready to put a set of BFGs on my 68 Javelin!

BigBad69,  would the 225s be stock equivelant for the front as well?  Or just the rear?  I have the stock steelies, with caps, and rings on my Javelin, and they have 195/75/14s on them right now.  I'm not saying they are stock tires, but, with the way the car sits, they sure look "about right" for the front.  I'm hoping to stuff alot more tire under it, mostly the rear.  I will be running 205/70/14s on the fronts.  Anyone please correct me as to what the stock front tire size should be, or an equivalent in todays measurement.  Both front and rear.

The question I have is mostly regarding the rear.  On the stock steel rims;  just how big do you guys think I could go.  I'm not wanting anything huge.  I am mostly thinking in the 225/60 or 225/70 range.  The only problem is that a set of BFG 225/60/14s is shorter than a set of 205/70/14s.  I'd prefer to have the rears be a little taller than the fronts, but, am not sure that I can fit the 225/70/14s under the rear without some problems.  I HATE RUBBING TIRES.  especially brand new tires that i just paid good money for.Ouch
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2009 at 3:40pm
Tire size determines rim width. Generally, the recommended rim width info can be found on tire manufacturer's website.

FWIW, I have 225/70-14 on my Javelin on stock 14x5.5 magnum 500 rims. I could have gone a little wider in tire size, but these are very close to the original E70-14 that came on the car (maybe closer to F70-14). From what I found on the BFG website, the tires are almost too wide for the rims.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
BBO69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2009 at 3:22pm
I am want to get a set of Torque trust D set for my 69 AMX. What is the best size to get? I want to fit without mod to the wheel well. So Should I go with 14X6 or 15X7? thanks for your help.
Rodger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2009 at 7:19pm
Sir

If you switch to a larger diameter tire, the final drive
ratio will be off.  If the Speed Limit Sign is Posted
with 55 MPH, and you are showing 55 MPH, you not
be in the norm to all.

Some times if you do not know/watch what size of
tire, the tire will be rubbing the inner fender orthe
frame or body on every corner or if you carry more
than a light folding chair to the shows as you go
over un-even places on the roadway...

Rodger & Gabby

COS
Rodger & Gabby
COS
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2009 at 8:41pm
If you are looking for a bigger rim and tire then you might have to make sure the front wheel is centered in the wheel well when they allign it. I had to ask them to center it on the last two cars that I have had done. I don't understand why this isn't standard with an any allignment.    
70 71 72 AMXs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 71 72 AMXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2009 at 7:49pm
Check out some of the Mustang restoration suppliers also. I found one that had 15x7 magnum 500 pretty cheap.
Bruce
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2009 at 6:57pm
I'm running 235/60R/15s (Michelin Pilots) on 15x7 Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500s on all 4 corners.  Clearance is tight at the front trunnion, less than 1/2".

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 2:15pm
Wheel Vintiques re-pops the wheels, Magnum 500's in 15 inch and chrome.
Original 14 inchers were not chrome, had a heavy metalflake charcol color, with brushed trim rings.
There are re-pop AMC centers, they fit the re-pop 15's.
WV has Mopar type centers that are close, but not "exact" match to the AMC center.
Some re-pop and late model AMC centers have a different dish depth where the sticker goes.
There is a thread here all about the stock Magnum rims and the finish etc.

On a '69, I run 255/60/15 tires on 15x8 with 4-1/2 backspace, almost no fender lip rub,
only whith 2 people and on big bumps or dips.
That combination leaves about 1-1/8 inch clearance sidewall to leafspring.
Original 14 inch rims were 14x6 with 4 inch backspace.
WV will make custom backspace Magnum 500 chrome style rims.
A 5 inch backspace would be nice and duplicate the original rear track width dimension
only with an 8 inch wide rim instead of the stock 6 inch wide rim.
Chrome 14 inch Magnum 500 rims were an optional wheel in 1968 modle year only.
Technically, chrome Magnum 500's were not an original factory option on the 1969 model year.
Have had 15 inch chrome Magnum 500 rims bought new in about 1997 and have held up well.
Rub down chrome with a WD-40 soaked rag when putting car away for winter, no rust on chrome.
Hope this helps.
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2009 at 12:36pm

My dad has a 1969 AMX with a 390, and the go pack.  My dad, and I are slowly getting it ready for next summer.

I am looking to get him a set of stock wheels for Christmas, and wanted to get some real world opinions before I bought the wheels.

I am interested in the stock steelies, with the raised chrome spokes.  Sorry, but, I'm not sure what they are called in the AMC world. 

It has two of, what we believe are, the stock wheels on it now.   They are 14s, and I'm hoping Wheel Vintiques, or somebody out there has repro's of these wheels in 15s.  If not, we can live with the 14s.

What I am hoping to learn from all you other AMX guys out there is

1:  What is the best source for these wheels?  And the center caps.

2:  What size tires you can stuff under one of these in stock condition without having to roll fenders, or live with the occasional scrape.

We both like alot of tire under our cars, but don't want to have to touch the wheel well lips (The quarters are in beautiful shape Smile)  So some real world experience from you guys would be great. Tire size, rim size/type, and backspacing would all be GREATLY appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic