TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sound deadener (non stock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound deadener (non stock)
    Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 2:42pm
What is everyone using for sound deadener? I am getting ready to reinstall the interior into my mustard SC/360 and I am looking at sound deadeners. I am not building this one 100% stock because I want to drive and enjoy it. I've looked at Dynamat and Hushmat and a few others but the price on some of it is pretty steep for a cruiser. I did some internet searches and have found some interesting info relating to sound deadeners. One of them is a roofing product called "Peel & Seal" made by MFM Building Products (PEEL & SEAL). Looks like you can do your entire car for a little over $100 with this stuff. Anyone have any experiance with this stuff or any other type of deadener? I am just looking for any alternatives to the overpriced, car hobby, motivated systems. One thing to remember about products like Dynamat and Hushmat is that it was probably not invented for the auto hobby, most likely it was a product that had a different intended use that was found to work for the car hobby. Could Peel & Seal be the product that sparked the trend? 

What are you using?

TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 3:10pm
Some people on the H.A.M.B. use it, there are a lot of threads discussing the different sound deadening options and it seems like the options have been beat to death there so it might be worth a look.
I helped a friend install it in a Jeep Cherokee, "Peel & Seal" from Loews, I'm not sure if it's the same brand or not, it seemed like pretty generic cheap stuff. He's big into his sound system so we put it everywhere we possibly could, pulled the carpet, headliner, seats, door panels, and interior panels to get it under everything. It smelled like tar for about two weeks, but then it was fine. He told me he looked at a MSDS to make sure it didn't put off any toxic fumes and said it didn't, that was the main concern when we found out it stank. When summer came around it smelled again for a little while when it was really hot out (his Jeep is black so it kinda cooks), some of it dropped down from the headliner because it was hot and the surface wasn't properly prepped to have it stick to it. Other than that, it's still in his Jeep, it doesn't stink on a daily basis anymore, and his Jeep doesn't rattle other than the license plate and the engine. I'm not sure how effective it is next to expensive stuff, but it made a noticeable difference. I'm considering installing it in my truck once I'm not driving it in the spring.
TinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 3:16pm
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 3:41pm
Wow, how'd I miss that thread?
aus-cattle-dog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus-cattle-dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 4:08pm
i have used peel and stick on roofs forever if your gonna use it joe spend a couple extra dollars and get grace ice and water shield once that sticks it will never come off, the other iceshields dont stick near as well if its cool out the cheaper stuff barely sticks at all. grace is very sticky.
83 cherokee                 red heeler        austrailian cattle dog           
Mountainmoron View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountainmoron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 4:20pm

Asphalt pad, then fabric pad on all floors & firewall (I bought the pads pre-cut from APD):

DynaMat Extreme on all other exposed surfaces, including roof, doors, & sail panels:

I bought the DynaMat Extreme from BestBuy, then found it on EBay for a lot less. It might be a little more expensive than some of the alternatives, but once you close up the interior it's too late to wish you had used something else. I'm real pleased with the sound deadening quality provided, and it was easy to install.
'69 AMX 390EFI, AMO #9412
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2010 at 4:55pm
Dynamat Extreme is what I used in the GTO.  what a difference over the old Tar mats.

I got mine from Amazon.  Yep they had the best price.

Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2010 at 6:37pm
Joe, I have used the chrome bubble wrap insulation from Home Depot. It is ok at sound deadening and good for temperature control. Remember the white truck I sold a while back? It had bubble wrap on the floor from the seats back, back of the cab and under the headliner.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2010 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by 6768rogues 6768rogues wrote:

Joe, I have used the chrome bubble wrap insulation from Home Depot. It is ok at sound deadening and good for temperature control. Remember the white truck I sold a while back? It had bubble wrap on the floor from the seats back, back of the cab and under the headliner.

Tom, that stuff doesn't have sticky back on it does it?
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2010 at 7:29pm
http://www.raamaudio.com/

This is what  used, very easy to work with and I found it was highly recomened by many others, and the Price is very good. I have installed in on the complete interior of my 69 Javelin.

And right now he has sale going on, awesome price, i wish he had it when I was doing mine. I could have save a bunch of cash

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic