TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ignition key/cylinder, etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition key/cylinder, etc
    Posted: Nov/18/2007 at 11:26pm
The ignition switch (ok, not reall the switch) lock cylinder can be operated with no key. The key can be pulled even before the lock is all the way back (lever on colum to release)
Is this best repaired, or simply replaced?
Can it be fixed and rekeyed, or should I look for another?
I don't like the fact that someone can simply get in it and start it with no key, although today, they'd be screwed, the tranny is jammed again.

If it's best to just replace it, I guess I'll be placing a wanted ad...........

Also, what is the removal procedure? Is it the same on all years?
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 12:59am
It's worn out, probably best to just replace it.  My Jeep does the same thing, so I installed a hidden ignition cut-out switch.

The procedure is nearly the same for all Saginaw columns.

1. remove steering wheel and lock plate
    you need a compressor tool to remove the lock plate.
    you may need to loosen and lift the directional assembly to see under it.

2. with the key in the "on" position, you push a tab at the back end of the  lock barrel, it will slide out.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 1:36am
If I get a replacement, I assume it can be "re-keyed" for to match the door locks?
I'd like to keep the "one key, all locks" setup these cars use. I've got NOS key blanks for this I'd like to use or maybe get a good setup and keep two individual keys, no problem there, really.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 2:55am
They can be re-keyed, you may have to find a willing GM dealership to do it.  I don't know how many locksmiths re-key car locks.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 6:25am
We have a guy here in Marshalltown who will be glad to re-key.  Not a dealership, just a master locksmith.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 7:27am
not quite re-key as you think. The napa/o'reilly's etc lock cylinders work fine, but use a GM key. They can cut that key to work with your existing door locks, but don't expect to cut an AMC key and have it work in the new cylinder - the key blanks are different. 
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 7:56am
I'd much rather get a good used AMC lock cylinder. I don't want to get into mixed keys, etc.
So I may have to hold out until I find someone parting a later AMC and buy the lock parts. All I should need is the ignition lock cylinder and can have that changed. Or I guess be forced to use one key for the ign and another for the doors. The hatch is electric.
CloudyB View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 10:35am
Hey Billd. You might find what your looking for here
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 12:51pm
I've got to ask him a question as the image makes it look like it states "will fit GM, AMC which means it's probably a GM lock. That's what I want to avoid.
I want a genuine AMC, even if used.............
I'll write him and clarify.

Confirmed - the same thing I'd buy locally, GM locks taking a GM style key.
Thanks, but I'll look for an AMC lock cylinder. Gotta be someone scrapping an Eagle or Spirit.......

Edited by billd - Nov/19/2007 at 1:51pm
XJ-001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2007 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

It's worn out, probably best to just replace it.  My Jeep does the same thing, so I installed a hidden ignition cut-out switch.

The procedure is nearly the same for all Saginaw columns.

1. remove steering wheel and lock plate
    you need a compressor tool to remove the lock plate.
    you may need to loosen and lift the directional assembly to see under it.

2. with the key in the "on" position, you push a tab at the back end of the  lock barrel, it will slide out.

Bob
tufcj

Step 1 is correct, except you will need to pull the turn signal switch far enough out to access the push tab or retaining screw. In the early 80's they changed the lock cylinder retainer to a Torx screw instead of the push-in tab. I believe that if the dimmer switch control is in the column, then it will have the Torx screw. We just replace the lock cylinder in the 83 J-10 and it had the turn lever dimmer control and the Torx screw retainer.

Tom
1970 AMX 390 4spd

1970 Javelin 390 Auto (Project)

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland Edition

2002 Olds Intrigue (The Other Orphan)

Bloomington, MN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic