TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gotta Wierd Build Date Code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gotta Wierd Build Date Code
    Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 3:20pm
I bought a remanufactured short block 232 from a guy in southern California. It had been sitting in his dad's garage for years intended for his son's Jeep. 

The date code is stamped very clearly:   502F10.    The code 5 makes it a 1972 engine but there was no 232 with an engine build date code of "F" then or any other year.   However in 1972 the Jeep VIN code for a 232 was the letter F.

So did AMC code the engines differently for Jeep to coincide wth the VIN code and not the engine codes published by AMC.   This comes on the heels of the G code six cylinder engine that was mentioned here on the forum a few days ago.  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Gremlinamc1975 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlinamc1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 5:04pm
232 1 bbl Low Compression jeep only

1970 Gremlin 232, 1974 Gremlin, 1977 Gremlin X, 1977 Gremlin X, 1979 Spirit DL,
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 5:11pm
Thanks, I found that out, but F is the VIN code for the low compression 1 bbl 232.  The VIN codes supposedly were not used as part of the engine date codes.  At least many of them were not.

Gremlinamc1975 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlinamc1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 5:17pm
this is the source i use to look up my years and such, may help others

http://webspace.webring.com/people/dg/geer_hed/cj_numbers.html#block

and as for the vin, it was stated that the vin and the block numbers wern't the same, engine code on the vin is the same on the blocks iv dated.

Edited by Gremlinamc1975 - Nov/07/2010 at 5:19pm

1970 Gremlin 232, 1974 Gremlin, 1977 Gremlin X, 1977 Gremlin X, 1979 Spirit DL,
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2010 at 12:13pm
Can't connect to that site above, but here is the block code off of the engine (freshly painted with AMC blue as in the second pic.).   Based on the reference I checked the block codes were not the same as the engine codes.   However, for Jeep this appears not to be the case, right?  An F VIN code in a Jeep would be a low compression 1-barrel 232.   The engine will go in a 76 Gremlin with a T-5 behind it.  Joe

Paint is acrylic urethane mixed by my local Dupont jobber.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2010 at 9:39pm
The block codes are not necessarily the same as the VIN codes, but in a few cases they just happen to be. Don't have my code book with me right now to point out the few that happen to coincide. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic