TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel pump with vacuum wipers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pump with vacuum wipers?
    Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:07pm

Can some one explain to me the fuel pump system on my 67 amc rambler 550 wagon.

My wagon has vacuum wipers, so I understand that is a different type of pump.

I am the second owner on this car but it has changed hands tow time in 6 months before I got it, and to be truthful all the other two guys did was mess things up buy taking it apart and putting it back together. So I do not know what is missing. Or hooked up wrong. (Give me some credit for not using expletives here.) I am sure you all understand what I am saying here. While working on setting the dwell. (thank You all for the help there.)

I noticed that the pump was spitting out gas as the engine was running or being cranked.

The fuel seems to be coming out of a small hole on the back side of the lower end of the pump. It appears to be a small threaded hole.  The manual I have is for a 67 rebel American and only has a cross section of a typical vacuum booster type. Mine looks to be upside down compared to the one in the book.(I am looking for the correct book for my car and when I find it I will donate this book to someone that can use it.) I will not even charge shipping as I understand first hand how hard it is to get started.

Also why is a pump for a car with vacuum wipers deferent? There are no vacuum lines

Attached to the fuel pump.   I would have replaced the pump but I can not locate one, and I would like to understand what is going on instead of just dumping money in it, and not learning anything. Thank you all in advance.

Rocknthehawk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocknthehawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:12pm

Someone with more knowledge will chime in...but, although they work the same, some of the pumps looked different. A picture of yours would be helpful.

There SHOULD be a vaccum line from the pump to the wiper motor. Where is the line from the wipers currently connected? On mine, someone put in a later single action pump, and tried to plumb the wipers into the manifold. Thankfully I found a used pump  on this site.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:37pm
Cars with vacuum wipers have a fuel pump that is a combination pump. One part is fuel pump, the other is a vacuum pump.  The vacuum pump is to help compensate for instances where engine vacuum is low. Say for instance, you're going up a hill with the wipers on and you need to pass a slow moving truck.  You firewall the go pedal and engine vacuum drops. Without a combination pump, your wipers would grind to a halt. WITH the combination pump - which is always in motion while the engine is running - the pump will take over to create the necessary vacuum to keep the wipers going. Neat, eh?

Here's a website that has some good pictures of also working on a '67 Rambler:

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
TonyD View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:40pm
TonyD View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2011 at 7:49pm
That site is good I tried to email him and ask him for a price to rebuild my pump but his contact form is blank, bummer, that is my pump.
nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 1:13am
On those pumps , gas pump and vacuum pump are 2 different parts.
The only thing they share is they move at the same time .

First : When the gas pump diaphragm is dead , it leaks from the top , via a small hole .
Assuming it s like my 66 , the bottom treated hole is for the filter .

Second : you should have a rubber hose from the pump to the vacuum , connected to the copper pipe on the top .
Is it the same pump as this one ( 1966 ) ?

The vacuum wiper motor should work for years . If not , just open it , clean , put new grease and have it trouble free for 20 more years . You just may need to replace rivets by 4 bolts , and make a special screw driver ( not hard to do with a metal saw ) .

If you need a rebuilt for the pump ( assuming it s the same as mine ) , the NOS # is Group 4.110 Part #3205746 .
About 15 $ on Ebay .
No problem with modern fuel after 5 years of use .

Edit : to post pictures , see this link :
http://theamcforum.com/forum/guide-to-posting-photos_topic220.html
Servimg.com works great also .
We don t have access to yourse unless suscribing to your website .

Edited by nali - Aug/16/2011 at 1:20am
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:57am
TonyD,

The Yahoo link you posted requires a log in so I can't see the pictures you're posting.

www.mattsoldcars.com is my web site. I do not offer rebuild services or sell parts to fix fuel pumps. I wasn't aware the contact form wasn't working so I'll take a look at that. In the mean time, you can PM me any specific questions you have.

Anyway, the fuel pump you describe is for a car with electric wipers and it sounds like the diaphragm in it is bad which is allowing fuel (and probably oil) to leak out from the vent. If you didn't get the correct fuel pump with the car, you'll need to either find an original to rebuild or buy an aftermarket replacement from one of the AMC vendors. Places like Galvin's, American Parts Depot, and Kennedy American sell aftermarket replacements. If you want an original style pump, I'd check with American Parts Depot and South Texas AMC (both have AMC parts cars).

If you end up with one of the replacement style pumps (or a pump from 69 or newer), you'll need to put a fuel filter between the pump and the fuel line on the frame sill. The earlier pumps used an internal fuel filter.

If you need the fuel and vacuum lines and you have a 1bbl carb, you can get pre-bent lines from Inline Tube. You can see how the lines run in this picture:

As far as pump operation is concerned, the TSM does explain how the pump works. The pump is not model specific so you're American TSM has the correct info for the fuel pump in it.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
TonyD View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 1:58pm

Matt,

Thank you very much.

My pump looks very much like the one you rebuilt, but not exactly the same, there are

No vacuum hook ups on the fuel pump and the filter is replaced from the top.

The vacuum hook up for the wipers is coming off the intake manifold now and I would guess that before it went to the fuel pump? I can not find any vacuum leaks so I do not believe the is an open port anyplace that needs a cap. Any thoughts on how the leaking fuel pump might be affecting the performance? I am having a female canine of a time setting the dwell. I have new breaker points ordered.

I also set up a photo buck to store photos.

Here is the ulr to the fuel pump pic.

Best regards and thank you.

Tony

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/tonyd26/fuelpump.jpg

nali View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 3:42pm
My guess is you don t have the correct fuel pump .
No more car :)
Maybe a 1965 Ambassador Coupé someday .. If I can find a cheap one.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by TonyD TonyD wrote:

I am having a female canine of a time setting the dwell. I have new breaker points ordered.

If the settings won't stay put then there's some wear in the distributor allowing it to drift.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic