TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oiling mods...who's done 'em?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 7:45am
Originally posted by GreggR GreggR wrote:

I may never do a timed 1/4 mile,......................

Then just build it as the factory did.
As strange as it may seem, these engines logged tons of miles over 25 years of production with varying driving conditions ( grandma, weekend racer, police and fleet) without being needing to be "fixed".
The best fix would be not going RM on the maintenance.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 8:07am
briefly glancing at those drawings I see no problem with them...I've done most of them...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 8:29am
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

I may never do a timed 1/4 mile,......................

Then just build it as the factory did.
As strange as it may seem, these engines logged tons of miles over 25 years of production with varying driving conditions ( grandma, weekend racer, police and fleet) without being needing to be "fixed".
The best fix would be not going RM on the maintenance.

X2

There's no reason to go in and mess with stuff and possibly mess it up if there's no real need for it.

I've seen plenty of people ruin stuff when they go in and modify for the heck of it.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 8:53am
Oiling mods should only be done by those who have the experience and have learned from past failures.  My engine lived for 33 years (no oiling modifications) and the engine NEVER had an easy day in its life! The current rebuild has every trick in the book.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2011 at 9:12pm
Rewording the same old question to get different results....... sort of like a fisherman.
Fix the responders to skew the results - if you limit replies to only those who USE the mods, you'll get nothing but positive responses.
Sorry, sort of like political polsters, eh? 
How about asking who does NOT use them, and how much HP they run, their times, engine life, etc.
(eh, no, that would be too many responses)
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 8:47am
"make sure the little spacer is in the pickup as it can suck to the bottom of the pan (stock or extended)".  I welded two 1/2" washers to the rim of the oil pickup (oposite each other) as the plastic 'spacer' disenigrates with time and heat.  Position the washers carefully so as not to interfere with the pan.  I also welded the hole closed that's on the top of some pickups.  Ran the extra quart of oil.  Never had an oiling problem with OEM parts.
Mike
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

.  I welded two 1/2" washers to the rim of the oil pickup (oposite each other) as the plastic 'spacer' disenigrates with time and heat.

Yes, it does indeed.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by fast401 fast401 wrote:

Oiling mods should only be done by those who have the experience and have learned from past failures.  My engine lived for 33 years (no oiling modifications) and the engine NEVER had an easy day in its life! The current rebuild has every trick in the book.
Aren't we under the premiss, that these mods improve overall all durability, thus hopefully extending the life of ones investment?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Rewording the same old question to get different results....... sort of like a fisherman.
Fix the responders to skew the results - if you limit replies to only those who USE the mods, you'll get nothing but positive responses.
How about asking who does NOT use them, and how much HP they run, their times, engine life, etc.

Bill,

I have to respectfully disagree...

Just because something is tried, doesn't mean it was successful or worth the effort. I once tried Asparagus, but I didn't like it.

If something is changed, and the advertised result isn't achieved, would that responder post a positive reply? I doubt it.

What I was looking to avoid, is the "I never trie it, but I still think it's a stupid idea" kind of posts that we see WAY too much of...

But now that the thread is sufficiently off topic, I will close with the Emily Latella salutation..."Never mind"...

Gregg
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2011 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Bill,

I have to respectfully disagree...

Just because something is tried, doesn't mean it was successful or worth the effort. I once tried Asparagus, but I didn't like it.

If something is changed, and the advertised result isn't achieved, would that responder post a positive reply? I doubt it.

What I was looking to avoid, is the "I never trie it, but I still think it's a stupid idea" kind of posts that we see WAY too much of...

But now that the thread is sufficiently off topic, I will close with the Emily Latella salutation..."Never mind"...

Gregg

I have to agree with you Gregg,but who is Emily Latella? I thought it was RoseAnn a Rose anna Danna that said "Never Mind"

Edited by JD - Nov/07/2011 at 7:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic