TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oiling mods...who's done 'em?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 7:50am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Here is the first mod I do.  Some are better than others but none are drilled through 100%

Here is the second one that I do which may be over kill I admit.  The oil passage in the front cam bearing doesn't line up with the passage in the block.  I move it over so that there is no restriction to the distributor gear.

X2 on redrilling the main passages...More often then not I have found the stock passages are just barely broke through into the lifter galley....you need a 1ft. long 5/16 drill bit with a long flute...
I have also made a jig and drilled the drivers side galley also to oil the mains from both galleys...The block I'm running now has that mod...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

X2 on redrilling the main passages...More often then not I have found the stock passages are just barely broke through into the lifter galley....you need a 1ft. long 5/16 drill bit with a long flute...
I have also made a jig and drilled the drivers side galley also to oil the mains from both galleys...The block I'm running now has that mod...

Can you put up a pic of your jig?

Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Can you put up a pic of your jig?

i'll dig it out and get a pic...it's just a flat piece of 1/2" or maybe 3/4" flat stock..drilled to bolt to the main cap saddle...A drill guide(something like a valve guide but I made my own out of steel so i could weld it) welded into the bar stock...Just put the bit in the stock oil galley to locate the drill bit guide into the bar stock and weld it...turn the jig around and your ready to drill ...I advise leaving the cam bearings in for drilling..it keeps the bit from walking off when you go through the cam bearing area....you will have to replace the cam bearings if you leave them in...I've done it without the bearings in you just have to go slow....
It;'s not my idea I found the mod in an issue of NAMDRA many years ago...That article suggested using a valve guide insert for the drill guide..I found that to be too brittle and didn't last..so i made my own steel guide for the drill bit..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
michiganmadman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiganmadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 1:55am
I've always done the Direct oil line to rear of block since it was easy to do with brake line, I'm sure it didn't hurt. As far as performance, very hard to tell since I always did other mods at the same time, Good info!     
Things come out the best,,,,,,,,,,,, For those who make the best of the way things come out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic