TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 cam/dist.gear problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

as the oil doesn't squirt directly on the dizzy gear.  

Frank
On the V-8, the oil holes are drilled through the teeth around the perimeter where they mesh.
Red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2008 at 5:05pm
The well placed epoxy on a new clean gear will fall off soonafter because of the various harmonics  that the engine goes through, eventually ending up in your oil pick up, main bearings,ect....A simple and effective way to stop shredding gears, is just to drill th 1/16 hole in the plug. A tried and true experience through hundreds of rambler engines we have rebuilt from mild street to all out 4 and 5 second cars.
GremlinXman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GremlinXman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2008 at 9:44pm

Red,

I have never used any of the modifications you speak of and I use aftermarket cam and distributor gears, I wonder how any of my engines are still together? If the runout on the pump shaft hole is worn out and .0035" how will more oil help? If there is a problem with getting oil to the gears, I guess your band aid idea would work,... but I'd rather fix the problemGeek
 Also the oil pump with more teeth,,, How are you getting more volume with more teeth? are the gears larger diameter and you bore out the pump cavity? if not, and the gears are the same size and just more teeth, the teeth would be smaller(less oil squirted more times) so how would you get more volume? 
 Are you new to HLR ? Most of us have heard of Herman I have had experience with Herman's heads and intake and while they performe well they have lots of issues that need to be dealt with to get them there. I spent 90 Hrs on my heads and intake. 10 valve guides bad out of the box on raw heads, looked at a set last week with the same issue sent the buyer for Indy SR's instead. I hope you are working on QC over thereWink 
When I asked Herman how he was getting 340 CFM  outta his heads @ .700, he told me that was at 1.000 lift not .700 Ermm
 Don't get me wrong, I love my HLR heads as they flow 306 @ .600 and 323@ .700
 But bolt holes taped into the water,  missing valve cover bolt holes, header bolt holes not in the right places...
Hammer%20Head
 Flame me if you guys want, but these are just MY experiences, your's my varyTwoCents
 Davis

Edited by GremlinXman - Apr/13/2008 at 9:53pm
72 Gremlin X was 360 Auto ran 12.6 @ 107 now 406 CI Auto 11.035 @ 121
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2008 at 10:51pm
Hey, dung talker! I think I know you.I recognize the bad additude. If you let Herman assemble your stuff for you,you wont have those issues. Bolt holes sometimes go into waterjackets,is this your first engine?If you got a bad part ,send it back! mistakes can happen anywhere.
As for myself,my Herman Lewis built engine is the fastest AMC at my local track.See you there dung talker!Cool
Ron
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 8:37am
Installing any kind of higher flow oil pump gears shreds the stock gears quickly. The OEM AMC pump can make enough volume for any RPM if it is in good shape. The main issue is drainback as Herman well knows.  Drilling the hole in the front plug more than oils up the back of the large timing gear it misses the cam gear completely and it fills up the timing cover with oil. This is the result of that modification and really is not ever needed for a higher RPM AMC engine. The aftermarket camshaft gears have 4 oil lube holes just like the factory camshaft gears but what is happening right now is that their are too many hardnesses and too many mfg of gears and nobodies matches the OEM spec or works well with each others.

I dont know why you would say he has a bad attitued when he couldnt get good parts and his flow numbers werent correct. He was told one thing and delivered another and after all that work he has a set of heads that he could have saved money on just buying a set of Edelbrocks....why would someone want a set of Herman Lewis heads when they flow a hugh number at a camshaft lift they can never use?  Your not talking to a bunch of spring chicken AMC'ers almost all of these guys have been messing with their motors for 30+ years. I understand it must be exciting working with Herman and I personally like the man himself he is fun to talk too but I can tell you from experience that spouting experience and having that you "Come here and sit under my wing...just trust me" attitude doesnt go far in the AMC world  LOL

Sorry if I came off salty but I take alot of pride in helping dispell the myths on modifications and un-needed parts.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 9:09am
As difficult as it is to get many AMC'ers to open the wallet and buy a part it should at least work  when you get it.
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 11:28am
I've watched Dr. Phil a few times, hey- some couples and couplings are just incompatible.....LOL
 Steve
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 1:11pm
Edelbrock heads ? are you not aware that edelbrock heads have smaller valves than stock? Herman has moved the intake valve over to allow for 2.125 intake valves.In drag racing ,bigger is better.Period.Its true there is some fitting to get them set up ,but it is well worth the effort.Of course,the power level is well beyond what the rest of the drivetrain can stand,so you need real racing parts to go with it.Herman is a racer, not a street car builder.
Like I said before,if you recieved a bad part,send it back.He will make it right.But he`s not God.We have all made mistakes,right?
Ron
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 3:44pm
I imagine Bubblefender is talking about on the street. But even for racing- being more efficient is more important than simply increasing valve area. Flow is more related to velocity - those huge valves- particularly at low lifts- are harder obstacles for the air to get around. Better that the port shape, valve edge and stem contours promote flow than sticking a bigger trap door over the seat.Star
 Steve
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 5:19pm
But Hermans heads flow better than Edelbrocks.Add the larger valves AND larger ports, they are a better choice for wide open. The question is,how quick do you want your car to be?11 or 12 seconds with the Edelbrocks,10 or even 9 second quarter mile times are possable with the Herman Lewis heads.You need to increase the size of everything else the air flows through to get the most out of the valve size increase.For example,1050 Dominator ,HLR intake,HLR heads,1 7/8 Hooker super comp headers.Edelbrocks are easier,but they are more of a street thing.Thats cool too.Cool
Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic