TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 cam/dist.gear problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 9:38pm
How about dropping the blatant promotion of HL heads, and coming just to slam members.
Please watch the attitude............... that thread was long since dead, months old. No use bringing it back just for those comments.
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2008 at 10:42pm
I dont meam to slam anybody,but I keep hearing crap about HL heads ,which I use.I take the bad mouthing by people seriously, as I am a customer of his ,and I am super happy with my finished product,which kicks Chevy but as promised.I am not promoting HL heads ,as much as i am  HL motors.Its kind of a package deal.He knows how to set up his parts to work together.I am only talking from my own experiance.Yes,There is a learning curve that comes with using his stufff,but it delivers high horse power,and thats a fact.
Sorry if I came off like a jerk,I didnt mean to.Shocked
Ron
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2008 at 10:05am
I guess it depends on which HLR heads you have and what your are building. In the case of GremlinX's heads he would have been miles ahead using a set of Edelbrocks with light porting to achieve those 308@.600 lift #'s. I do understand HLR makes extrememly well flowing heads and he knows how to set them up but many have complained about the quality of the heads if they bought them outright. Just like GremlinX stated he had major issues and the heads were misrepresented. Then someone called him a smart a## because he was having a hard time getting the heads to work at all. Dont get me wrong their is no way I want to start disrespecting Herman Lewis but I just think their are two sides of the story here and you always only hear the edited versions. Their might be a reason you keep hearing crap about Hermans heads though!

Edited by 74Bubblefender - Aug/03/2008 at 10:06am
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2008 at 11:40am
I have to admit,I was surprised to find out after I bought them,that I couldnt just bolt them on and go.You should be an engine builder or have one fit the heads.There are clearancing issues with the pushrods. I screwed up my own heads trying to clearance the pushrods.Fact is I am a carpenter and was in over my head. I cured my problem by boxing up my engine and having Herman assemble it, which he does for a very reasonable price.I know,more money! The thing is, Herman was able to save me about 500.00 one the price of the custom JE pistons.Here in CA, I was told 1250.00. It was more like 750.00 through HLR. This offset the cost of shipping in one direction. For me ,it was just one more hurdle to jump. No big deal, but I do know what these people are complaining about. There is also the need to triple up the intake gaskets because his heads are taller,and a spacer is used at each end of the valley.Use Chevy intake sealant from the dealer on the gaskets,and "the right stuff "sealant for the valley ends. HLR has new heads I hear, mabye these are not issues anymore.There were some hoops to jump through for sure, but if your focus is racing,HLR is the way to go.I dont think he misrepresents his stuff,but thinks we all can do what he does.To him it is second nature.The bottom line-In the end I got what I wanted. 
Ron
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2008 at 12:00pm
His canted valve heads are the cats MEOW!!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2008 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

His canted valve heads are the cats MEOW!!

You mean like this??

Edited by billd - Aug/04/2008 at 2:07pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2008 at 2:14pm
LOL No,  Bill like this!  :D :)

SEASON2123 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEASON2123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 3:30pm
Unhappy
ITS MY FIRST TIME USING THIS SITE/
I HOPE TO GET SOME INFO

I HAVE AN AMC JAVELIN 1972

I RECENTLY RAN INTO SOME ISSUES WITH IT. IT RAN GREAT FOR A WHILE. I WAS DRIVING IT NOT KNOWIN IT WAS HEATING UP AND THE WATER WASNT FLOWING RIGHT. IT ENDED UP MESSING UP BAD. MY CAM BROKE,A PISTON ROD BROKE AND MY BLOCK DID TOO. 

ANYWAYS I PUT IN A 360 BLOCK AND I USED MY OLD HEADS,AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

I USED MY OLD DISTRIBUTER BUT I PAYED NO MIND TO THE GEARS ON THE NEW BLOCK. I LEFT THE GEARS ON THE NEW BLOCK ON,AND I PUT MY DISTRIBUTER FROM MYPREVIOUS BLOCK.THEN IT BROKE MY GEARS ON THE DISTRIBUTER. THEN I PUT THE CAM GEARS FROM THE OLD BLOCK AND I BOUGHT A DISTRIBUTER AND IT BROKE THEM AGAIN. SO I DID CHECK THE OIL PUMP BEFORE I PUT IT IN AND WELL IT WAS WORKING PROPERLY, THE OIL IS CLEAN, EVERYTHING IS OKAY. BUT I COUNTED THE GEARS/TEETH ON THE DISTRIBUTER AND ONE HAD 13 AND THE OTHER HAD 12. SO I WAS THINKING IT WAS THAT I MUST GET MATCHING CAM GEARS WITH THE DISTRIBUTER/ I WAS THINKING OF BUYING SOME ONLINE LIKE ON EBAY SINCE THESE PARTS ARE HARD TO FIND. BUT NOW THAT IM READING THE NUMEROUS PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS 

IM WONDERING IF THAT REALLY IS THE PROBLEM? 
I HAVE BEEN READING WHAT PEOPLE SUGGEST AND I AM READING PEOPLE SAYING TO  MODIFY STUFF ON IT. AND OTHERS SAYING TO CLEAN OUT THE OIL AND TAKING OFF MY OIL PAN. AND OTHERS SAYING TO JUST GET MATCHING GEARS. 

WELL I GUESS U CAN SAY IM A LIL FRIGHTENED THAT I MIGHT BUY MATCING GEARS AND IT WILL BREAK THE GEARS AGAIN. 

SO  WHAT SHOULD I DO. SHOULD I BUY MATCING GEARS AND MAKE THAT WHOLE WITH THE 1/16 DRILL BIT OR JUST TRY IT  TO SEE HOW IT WORKS. OR HOW CAN I CHECK TO SEE IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS WORKING PROPER?
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 3:59pm
  Welcome aboard! Start by turning OFF the caps lock. It's akin to SCREAMING. You should always run matched gears. If you have been through two distributor gears you probably have a fair amount of metal pumping through you engine. Not a good thing. You may want to do do a complete tear down at this point. You might get lucky and just slap a matched set of gears back in. You can buy matched gears here.

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 4:28pm
Gears fall apart when mixed and matched. I'd do another count. They don't come in different tooth counts unless one is completely missing.
With all the shrapnel now in the engine, I'd seriously be pulling it apart since it's now in the pan, pickup and oil pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic