TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 cam/dist.gear problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEASON2123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 1:17pm
since some people are doing some modifications to there block. i wanted some one to tell me where to do some wholes, i understood to use a 1/16 drill bit but i want to do this to my block because i reallly dont want my gears to get chewed up again. i want to do it in a couple of hours so if somene will tell me exactly what to do it will be great. i already got my new gears but i also want to do that modification becuase if people got results from them i want to try it too. thanks.
rjs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 4:23pm
I don't have this done on my motor, but my engine builder mentioned this mod. I think you want to put the hole in the pipe plugs that seal off the oil gallery on the front of the block. I'm not sure if one or both should be drilled. I think only one. Hope this helps
Ron
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by SEASON2123 SEASON2123 wrote:

since some people are doing some modifications to there block. i wanted some one to tell me where to do some wholes, i understood to use a 1/16 drill bit but i want to do this to my block because i reallly dont want my gears to get chewed up again. i want to do it in a couple of hours so if somene will tell me exactly what to do it will be great. i already got my new gears but i also want to do that modification because if people got results from them i want to try it too. thanks.

Are you talking about having an .040 hole in the oil passage plug behind the timing chain? 
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
JavelinGeo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinGeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2017 at 5:27pm
Hello Red, just wiped a cam lobe on my AMC 360...melling 20402 cam Comp lifter I over wrenched it and bam! ticking noise that wont go away.. pulled it zall apart block and heads still in car...any advice?!?

bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 5:20pm
When I built my 390, I wiped the dizzy gears in just a few miles.  Pulled everything apart and discovered what a dumb rump I was.  I had shimmed the distributor gear to reduce end play, but what I didn't realize was that the shims I used had too large of an outside diameter, and interfered with the gear mesh.  Second time around I used the correct shims that have an OD smaller than the root diameter of the gear. Almost 4,000 miles later with no problems.  I also always used matched gear sets and will use OEM gears that have been run for thousands of miles with no problems.

Bobster
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 6:26pm
I've used the Bulltear matched gears with no issues. I've also installed new MSD cam and dizzy gears together with no issues several times. And I've reused matched (and unmatched...) OEM gears with success. It's all in the oiling system as well as timing cover and endplay tolerances.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 4:22pm
I have been through this myself.  I had shimmed the distributor gear to minimize end play, and what I did not check was to  make sure that the outside diameter of the shim washer is smaller than the root diameter of the gear. So the shim washer interfered with the correct mesh of the gears and,well...you know the rest.  Hope this information is helpful, and it is easy to check just by yanking the dizzy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic