TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Power disc brake swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesse21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Power disc brake swap
    Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 11:16pm
I want to change my manual drum brakes to power disc brakes on my 74 gremlin x and was wondering has anybody done this before. whats all involved in the process?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 1:31pm
I am thinking you would need to find a small body car to get the parts from for your car. Now I have not seen a lot of power brake small body cars let alone power disc.
I have a 75X factory v8 car with drums non-power and a 76x 6cly with disc/drum non-power. Both stop fine just need a little more leg is all.
The disc swap is easy either with stock parts if you can find them or useing after market parts from just brackets and you get the parts from junk yards or new to full bolt on kits like Wilwood. Again none would be power as you would need to fine a small car booster.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 3:40pm
This is kind of an expensive way to go, but you could get a reman brake booster (#NBB5473524 $108.00) from NAPA and pay the core charge ($45.00), or return a different booster core.

The above part number is in fact for a 74 Gremlin (disc/drum) brake booster and NAPA currently has 4 units in stock at their central warehouse.

Dennis 

Edited by THE MENACE - Mar/07/2012 at 3:40pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 3:52pm
I could get everything you need (minus calipers/rotors etc that you can still buy new) from a junkyard 74 hornet with factory power disk brakes for cost of parts, my gas and some time. However most guys want the 79+ setups for the cheaper parts. Willwood is really appealing in that they are cheap if you have to buy new parts for an early setup to go with a conversion. A set of 74 rotors alone runs in the $250 range. 
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 3:57pm
you would need to still find the bracket forMenace's solution. The reman's that I have seen and bought don't supply that part, and it is unique to the power boosters (drum or disc the same) in small cars.

If originality isn't a concern i'd put the complete setup (brakes, booster etc) from a concord or spirit on it. Those are still pretty easy to find.
AMO Newsletter Editor
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

If originality isn't a concern i'd put the complete setup (brakes, booster etc) from a concord or spirit on it. Those are still pretty easy to find.

X2, much easier to find! 

You can even get drilled and slotted rotors for the OE Concord setup if you wanted them.

Dennis 
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 5:18pm
I second the idea of finding a Concord. I myself used Spirit brakes on my manual drum Hornet. It's pretty easy! Well, I suppose finding all the parts on a complete car is the easiest, then just swap things over. The hardest part is changing a few lines for the new master and for the proportioning valve.

I should dig through my collection of goodies. I think I have enough to do 1 more car. I don't know if I have another prop. valve or not. I'm pretty certain I have the front suspension and the master/booster/bracket.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 9:21pm
Anyone selling a mast/booster bracket setup from a hornet/concord/eagle, please let me know. Jim
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic