TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Control Freak power and manual rack part numbers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Control Freak power and manual rack part numbers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Control Freak power and manual rack part numbers?
    Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 9:56pm
I want to find out more info on the steering racks used by Control freaks.  When I called them and asked I was told a 20:1 manual rack and a 17:1 power rack (both around 4 turns lock to lock witch is also what my manual box currently is and is not fast enough for the feel a want)  both off some odd application.  I asked if they had any other options and was told they would have to resarch and it would be custom work so lots of $$$.

First off I want to verify I did get the right info.  If it is correct I want to find either a 15:1 (ok @ 3.3 turns lock to lock) manual rack or (best) a 2.7 turn lock to lock power rack and I figure if I do the research I could either just have them order the proper fitting one or just order the suspension with the attaching proper hardware from them and then just get what I need separately as I know they don't use the stock mounting hardware.

Thanks
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 10:10pm
Unless they changed very recently the power racks they were using were Delco. At least one Flaming River power rack will bolt up too. I should be able to chase down the part numbers. Keep in mind that with the power racks you won't have clearance for headers. All I have dealt with are the power racks so that is all I can comment on.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 10:22pm
I think they may have,when I called was right after they changed spindles from Granada to the wilwood pro's and they said they where just using flaming river racks but I think they said the manual rack was from a fox body t bird but was not the same as the normal mustang ones. iirc it was either super coupe or maybe 4 cyl turbo? Did they make svo turbo birds? FR has no fox t bird apps on there sight though.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2013 at 11:40pm
The racks are Flaming River. I am a CF dealer. Feel free to PM with any questions.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 6:58am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

The racks are Flaming River. I am a CF dealer. Feel free to PM with any questions.
There you go javmanBBG. Dan is a very good source of information. He has never failed me  when I have reached out.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

I did a wile back on Facebook but you seemed a little preoccupied at the time. I think you may have been moving the shop or something and told me just to call them as I had lots of ?s. Then I had a large outflow of $ for other items that just popped up so I dropped it for the time being. Now I want to get started on that again.

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2013 at 10:12pm
Nog sure what I was up to at that time but quotes now get turned around within 24 hrs or less.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
The Flying Clutchman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Flying Clutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 4:53am
According to Control Freak's website, they offer headers that work with power steering now.
1969 BBO AMX
1970 Torino Squire
1971 Chevelle SS
1980 turbo Pinto wagon
alber1x View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alber1x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by JavmanBBG JavmanBBG wrote:

I want to find out more info on the steering racks used by Control
freaks.  When I called them and asked I was told a 20:1 manual rack and a
17:1 power rack (both around 4 turns lock to lock witch is also what my
manual box currently is and is not fast enough for the feel a want) 
both off some odd application.  I asked if they had any other options
and was told they would have to resarch and it would be custom work so
lots of $$$.

First off I want to verify I did get the right
info.  If it is correct I want to find either a 15:1 (ok @ 3.3 turns
lock to lock) manual rack or (best) a 2.7 turn lock to lock power rack
and I figure if I do the research I could either just have them order
the proper fitting one or just order the suspension with the attaching
proper hardware from them and then just get what I need separately as I
know they don't use the stock mounting hardware.

Thanks

JavmanBBG:

This is Al at Control Freak Suspensions. I'm sorry I don't remember our conversation, but here is some data to work with regarding our steering racks:

- The manual rack is a Flaming River 18:1 ratio with 2.8 turns lock to lock

- We offer two (2) power racks: A Flaming River rack (very pricey) with 2.75 turns lock to lock and an 18:1 ratio, or a Ford OEM reman power rack with an 18:1 ratio and three turns lock to lock.

We do not make a rack & pinion conversion kit for stock AMC vehicles. The racks described above are strictly for our Independent Front Suspension (IFS) systems.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Al
Al Kamhi
Control Freak Suspensions
Winter Springs, FL

888-325-6462
407-696-2772
www.FreakRide.com
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FreakRide
JavmanBBG View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavmanBBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2013 at 9:15pm
JavmanBBG:

This is Al at Control Freak Suspensions. I'm sorry I don't remember our conversation, but here is some data to work with regarding our steering racks:

- The manual rack is a Flaming River 18:1 ratio with 2.8 turns lock to lock

- We offer two (2) power racks: A Flaming River rack (very pricey) with 2.75 turns lock to lock and an 18:1 ratio, or a Ford OEM reman power rack with an 18:1 ratio and three turns lock to lock.

We do not make a rack & pinion conversion kit for stock AMC vehicles. The racks described above are strictly for our Independent Front Suspension (IFS) systems.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Al

Al, Is that lock to lock on the rack or lock to lock when mounted on the suspension? 

I was looking at the FR sight and it was showing 20:1 at being 4 turns over the full 5.25" travel and then was showing the 15:1 at 3.33 turns (aprox 25% less) at the same 5.25" travel and then on the power side they had the billet mustang II and Road Race Rack rated at 2.7 over 6" of rack travel.

Can you lay out the rack ratings you have like this so it makes more since to me?

here is what I was looking at for reference if that helps
Power MII
http://www.flamingriver.com/download.php/service/tips/pdf/MustangIIPowerRackSpecs
Power RR
http://www.flamingriver.com/download.php/service/tips/pdf/roadracepowerrackspecs
Manual rack fox body mustang
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0013/s0005/FR1503

Thanks

Edited by JavmanBBG - Jul/31/2013 at 10:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic