TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bulltear 6 to V8 Engine Mount/Adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulltear 6 to V8 Engine Mount/Adapter
    Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 6:09pm
I didn't know for sure where this topic should be posted, but the forum at Bulltear is down so I came here in hopes of finding someone with experience with this product already.

What I am doing is putting a V8 into a 77 Gremlin which never had a V8 (76 was the last year of the V8 Gremlin). I thought to save time by using the Bulltear 6 to V8 engine mount/adapters. I read where those that used them were satisfied with them and saved a lot of headache. However, I've installed the engine and the rear of the engine is directly in contact with the firewall. My measurements put it roughly one inch too far to the rear. The Bulltear mounts can only bolt in one way, so what gives? Anyone run into this problem?

Thanks in advance. Smile
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 6:15pm
Used them on my 73 Hornet with only a minor issue. I seem to remember though that there was some mention from Bulltear that for some years you had to drill another hole. I just don't remember if that was for later years or earlier years. My issue I think had more to do with the fact that I went with a TH400 transmission at the same time and that kind of caused me a minor issue with the pinion angle.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 8:11pm
I appreciate your response. My Gremlin already had the second hole. I did order the drill guide and those holes matched up perfectly. I can run the car this way, but the engine is touching the firewall and that's unacceptable. After further study I find I might be more closer to 1/2 inch farther back than I was before. I've not got enough slack in the mounts to make up that much. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch can be pulled out of the slack in the holes, but not anything near 1/2 inch.

It's always something! Confused
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Gremil Gremil wrote:

It's always something! Confused
I hear you on that one. As they say, been there, done that.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
spook72x View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook72x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 9:53pm
I USED A SET ON A FRIENDS '77 AND THEY FIT GREAT, NO CLEARANCE ISSUES AT ALL. IF I NEED TO SWAP 6 FOR A 8 IN THE FUTURE I'D USE THEM OVER A V-8 CROSSMEMBER. HIS MOTOR DROPPED RIGHT IN,  URETHANE MOUNTS WAS A PLUS, HEDDER FIT WAS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MY V8 CROSSMEMBER.  THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING SIMPLE THAT YOU OVERLOOKED? EVEN WITH V8 CROSSMEMBER MOTOR IS VERY TIGHT. PASSENGER SIDE HEAD IS PROBABLY ONLY ABOUT 1/2''AT BEST.
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2013 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by spook72x spook72x wrote:

I USED A SET ON A FRIENDS '77 AND THEY FIT GREAT, NO CLEARANCE ISSUES AT ALL. IF I NEED TO SWAP 6 FOR A 8 IN THE FUTURE I'D USE THEM OVER A V-8 CROSSMEMBER. HIS MOTOR DROPPED RIGHT IN,  URETHANE MOUNTS WAS A PLUS, HEDDER FIT WAS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MY V8 CROSSMEMBER.  THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING SIMPLE THAT YOU OVERLOOKED? EVEN WITH V8 CROSSMEMBER MOTOR IS VERY TIGHT. PASSENGER SIDE HEAD IS PROBABLY ONLY ABOUT 1/2''AT BEST.

I'm double checking myself right now. With the rear transmission mount in place and bolted up, seems to relieve a lot of the contact with the firewall. But still touching the firewall. That can't be right. I've got the engine slid as far forward as the slack in the motor mount holes will allow. Gosh I hate to think I'll have to jerk out that engine and move the holes. That will probably require some welding. Just checked the forum at Bulltear once again and it's still not available. Hopefully there's a simple remedy.

The mounts won't fit on the wrong side (reversed) and besides, they were clearly marked when I received them. In my opinion they are superior to the original V8 mounts in durability based on the construction. Checked to be sure engine is seated down and bolted properly. Maybe it's suppose to be touching the firewall? Hard to believe that. The place the engine is touching is the seam that protrudes down on the passenger side on the firewall. Is it possible that they made that larger on the 77 Gremlin due to the fact it was never to have a V8? If so, I'm in for some serious reworking.

This car has never been in an accident, so the frame's never been distorted. I thought about that possibility already. Hopefully the guys at Bulltear know a solution. Have to wait until they get the forum back up.

Thanks for the input. Thumbs Up
spook72x View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spook72x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 3:33pm
No, it should'nt touch. I've done several swaps, even mine with Indy heads is very close but don't touch. Makes me wonder if the mounts werent jigged and welded wrong. Lynn's car that I used the Bulltear mounts on was a '77, I moved the break lines up and out of the way but the head, stock cast iron, still had as much room as a v8 crossmember conversion. Best to call and talk to Bulltear, maybe they have had other calls. they may be kinda hard to get hold of but they stand behind their stuff. Good Luck!
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 5:12pm
One thought I had is how new is the tranny mount? If you raise the tail shaft up a bit does the clearance issue go away? Post a few pictures if you can. 

Edited by hoosieramc - Aug/25/2013 at 5:15pm
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 5:54pm
Usually any issues like that are from the tranny mount. IIRC if your trying to stuff a 727 in there youll need to bang the firewall to make it fit due the tranny tunnel
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2013 at 10:59pm
The transmission mount is new. The engine clears on the driver's side barely. Problem is the seam on the passenger side just to the right of the blower motor mount contacts the rear of the engine at the head and especially the valve cover.

I was thinking about the possibility of the engine mounts somehow being slightly off and to the rear too far. I had heck getting to the rear valve cover bolt on the inline six. Once Bulltear's forum is back online I plan to ask there to see if there's an issue I've overlooked.

Oh yes, one more thing I found out by chance about this car. It's a Canadian AMC. I can't imagine that this matters though. It did have the Canadian electronics for the original distributor for one example that has no bearing on this issue. To my knowledge there is nothing different about AMC cars sold for the Canadian market. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic