TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bulltear 6 to V8 Engine Mount/Adapter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 7:59am
Did you use the center hole to align the drill jig or did you use the end of the drill jig on the end of the pad?
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

Did you use the center hole to align the drill jig or did you use the end of the drill jig on the end of the pad?

I already had two holes in my motor mount and they lined up with the jig just fine. I didn't know it had two holes until I pulled the engine so I had already bought the drill jig.

I found the problem, and it was with the transmission mount. Apparently I got sold the wrong one. The old transmission mount appears to be about 1 1/2 inch taller. Doesn't seem like much, but it took the engine off of the firewall once I put back the old tranny mount. I bought this one at Advance so I'll take it back and get the right one if possible. I appreciate the input from everyone. I just felt it had to be something simple, it usually is! Wink
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 5:49pm
FYIY I designed the mounts and the fixture and consumable welding pieces. We keep sharp track of all the components and the fixture. I can tell you they will fit with 98% certainty. I am glad it worked out for you.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

FYIY I designed the mounts and the fixture and consumable welding pieces. We keep sharp track of all the components and the fixture. I can tell you they will fit with 98% certainty. I am glad it worked out for you.

Yes, I appreciate the quality of the mounts and how easy they were to install. Had I gotten the correct transmission mount I'd have had little to no trouble. These 6 to V8 adapter mounts look a heck of a lot more durable than regular V8 mounts. I researched them and no one had ever had one break or fail. Smile
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 7:35pm
My 77 AMX was already a V-8 and I was sold the incorrect trans mount when I swapped in a 401/727 combo. I just cut off the wrong portion and welded on the correct taller mount on my new trans mount. They were a lot different.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by prostreetamx prostreetamx wrote:

My 77 AMX was already a V-8 and I was sold the incorrect trans mount when I swapped in a 401/727 combo. I just cut off the wrong portion and welded on the correct taller mount on my new trans mount. They were a lot different.

I was hoping to avoid doing anything radical. Hopefully when the next engine mount arrives it will be dimensionally like the one it came with. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board! Cry
Krauss101 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krauss101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 3:40pm
I put a set in my American with a 401 and a727 no problems
Gremil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 8:08pm

Quote I was hoping to avoid doing anything radical. Hopefully when the next engine mount arrives it will be dimensionally like the one it came with. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board! Cry

Actually I was referring to the transmission mount above. It hasn't come in yet. I might take some pictures to show how different some mounts can be if you don't do a side by side comparison assuming I get the right one this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic