TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Comanche receiver/Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2013 at 7:25am
Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

A quick Google search and i found this:

Thanks
The trailer hitch offered here is for the front of the vehicle. I am looking for the back. 

It is also unfornate but several dealers offer hitches listed for a Comanche, which is an incorrect listing. The hitches are for a Cherekee. Unfortunately the Comanche being a truck has it's own unique hitch & the Cherekee can not be shared.

The front ends were a whole lot alike ,the interiors of some years near identical in many ways, but the back end not so much. I owned a Comanche Sportruck (their spelling) short box, and I owned a Cherokee from a couple of years later. The dash, interior and many other things were much the same but like you said, the part behind the cab was a totally different animal body-wise.
I LOVED that truck, absolutely loved it, hated to part with it. It had been quite reliable even though as a farm truck I USED it like a truck. But when I traded it - it was clean as a whistle inside and out. The paint was near perfect, still had the shine of the charcoal clearcoat paint and decals, the interior was immaculate. That's the truck that had the big Alpine system in it that rattled the mirrors loose and cause interior screws to work their way out. 10 speakers including 2 subs aimed into the seat backs.
I had the hitch on it you wanted....... 2" receiver. I used to haul farm equipment, tanks and wagons with it, even through the fields. I'd just pop it into 4 wheel drive and haul the anhydrous tanks right out to the tractor with it. Bumpy, but I took it slow so it didn't rip the back half off the truck.
I did dent the rear bumper moving an outhouse once. That was fun explaining to the insurance agent.
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by hassyfoto hassyfoto wrote:

[QUOTE=70 Donohue 390]A quick Google search and i found this:

I did dent the rear bumper moving an outhouse once. That was fun explaining to the insurance agent.

I bet !!!  I am not sure if you had more fun explaining or the agent had more fun writing it up for the claim. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

seadoo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seadoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 5:54am

Not sure where in MD you are but the 2 yards in the link get a lot of Jeeps run through them.  No Comanche's listed currently, but their list looks not to be updated since late August.  Might be worth a run down to look, if you are close enough.

I've had good luck find stuff down there, and the prices are very good.

You will want to search on the list that say
Vehicles - Widewater 8/20 and Wheeler Vehicles Aug 20. 

Tim

Manassas Park, VA

65 Ambassador 990-H
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by seadoo seadoo wrote:

Not sure where in MD you are but the 2 yards in the link get a lot of Jeeps run through them.  No Comanche's listed currently, but their list looks not to be updated since late August.  Might be worth a run down to look, if you are close enough.

I've had good luck find stuff down there, and the prices are very good.

You will want to search on the list that say
Vehicles - Widewater 8/20 and Wheeler Vehicles Aug 20. 

Thank You !!!!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

roadtrip View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 7:10pm
Aftermarket bumper with hitch is another option. I think hanson makes one. Its tough to get a MJ hitch, let me check with my buddy he might know where to get one.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2013 at 7:05pm
I just sent my '89 MJ parts rig to the scrap (not junk) yard.It had a rust free body. I had planned to make an extended cab out of it with another MJ shortbox and doors from a 2 dr XJ. I had it up for $500 with zero interest for a month. (It was 2wd AW4 auto but I had the parts to make it 4x4)
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by roadtrip roadtrip wrote:

Aftermarket bumper with hitch is another option. I think hanson makes one. Its tough to get a MJ hitch, let me check with my buddy he might know where to get one.

Thanks I appreciate the help.
Murphy's Law:

roadtrip View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 12:26pm
This is what I found from him

U-Haul makes the hitch and some company makes an ugly as heck bumper with a hitch in it that sells on Comanche Club.  Fey makes some nice factory replacement bumpers that have a hitch on them but I'm not sure what they're rated at (my '92 has a Fey bumper).  Hanson also makes a nice rear bumper with a hitch but it has the pin behind the bumper (the one I have waiting to go on is a Hanson).

careful with the towing since the Comanche's don't weigh much.  If you are planning on towing a lot get trailer brakes and the metric ton springs as well as a good set of shocks.  

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by roadtrip roadtrip wrote:

This is what I found from him

U-Haul makes the hitch and some company makes an ugly as heck bumper with a hitch in it that sells on Comanche Club.  Fey makes some nice factory replacement bumpers that have a hitch on them but I'm not sure what they're rated at (my '92 has a Fey bumper).  Hanson also makes a nice rear bumper with a hitch but it has the pin behind the bumper (the one I have waiting to go on is a Hanson).

careful with the towing since the Comanche's don't weigh much.  If you are planning on towing a lot get trailer brakes and the metric ton springs as well as a good set of shocks.  

Hey Thanks for the tips. I looked at the Hanson hitch, but could not find a tow rating. I will dig a little deeper. I don't plan on towing often but will use a trailer with electric brakes always and drive accordingly. Plenty of stopping distance and on local roads, not the interstate.
Yes the only replacement bumpers are FEY. (They look too much like a Ford bumper, but hey, it is the closest to a factory bumper vs. some of the off-road bumpers made for Jeeps.
I appreciate the help.
Murphy's Law:

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 8:47pm
The Fey bumper is 3500lb rated. I tow barred an Eagle SX4 from S. Oregon to Seattle, WA on the hottest day of the year (switched to open cooling) and a Grand Cherokee from Mt Vernon, WA to Concrete, WA with an IH 304 and BW auto in the back. I ended up with an extra Fey bumper mounting kit I'm selling for $35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic